Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Organic: What foods are best purchased organic

Certain foods are best purchased organic while it's not as important for other things.  Ideally all things would be organic and at a reasonable price.  As we all move towards organice produce the prices will go down.  Until you can afford all organic you can purchase some. 

Here is a list of the fruits and veggies that are best purchased organic:
  • Apples
  • Bell Peppers
  • Celery
  • Cherries
  • Grapes
  • Lettuce
  • Peaches
  • Nectarines
  • Peas
  • Potatoes
  • Spinach
  • Strawberries
  • Blueberries
  • Carrots
  • Kale
  • Leafy Green
  • Tomato
These misc. items should also be purchased organically because of the amount of pesticides that are used.  I have switched to some.
  • Coffee - USDA organic.  I haven't tried organic yet but I should.  I don't drink a ton of coffee so I wouldn't feel the impact.
  • Milk:  I have reduced the amount of milk I drink so buying a half gallon of organic milk a week doesn't impact my budget. 
  • Meat - certified organic.  I currently only purchase organic ground beef.  At my regular grocery store they don't have all organic meats and I don't go to Whole Foods enough because it is a lot more expensive and my budget can't take the hit right now.
I purchase organic of these when I can.  It wasn't on the highly recommended lists but after seeing Food Inc. I thought I would do what I can when it comes to organic.
  • Eggs

No comments:

Post a Comment