Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Saturday's in North Beach, SF, CA

North Beach is one of our favorite areas in SF but there are so many places we decided to go on one of the City Guide tours to learn some new hangouts.  We had a wonderful day exploring new spots in North Beach.  We started with a 10am food tour of North Beach and found a few new loves that I will definately repeat along with some of our regular standard stops.  These are the places we found and those I love.

XOX Truffles on Columbus near Filbert:  If you love chocolate you must stop by and try a few of Jean Marc's homemade French truffles.  They are velvety, chocolaty, rich goodness, dusted in cocoa powder.  If you have never seen a handmade truffle they may not look how you expect (they look like where the name came from) but the taste is overwhelmingly delicious.  He does a variety of flavors, some with liqueur, some without and even some vegan options.  I tried the Almeretto, which had a slight cherry taste to me until I knew they were Almeretto.  They are a bit pricey but well worth it.  And with the richness of truffles it is not like you will eat a ton of them anyway.  You can get 1 for 75 cents or a 1/4 lb. box for around $14.00.  Not sure about truffles I heard that you can get a cup of organic coffee and truffle for $1.50.

Graffeo on Columbus and Filbert is the daily roasted coffee location with a different way of roasting (fluid bed) so that the heat on the beans is even.  Lucianno Repetti is the owner but you can't by coffee here only his beans.  If you want to try the coffee first go to Mario's and Cafe Divine on Washington Square.  I didn't get a chance to try the coffee or purchase the beans but it is on my list for my next visit because the place smelled wonderful.

Molinari's Deli (373 Columbus Avenue):  Need cheese, fresh mozzarella, sausages, salami, sopressata, Italian wine, fresh ravioli or anything else Italian (food wise) check out this deli.  You can even grab a roll and order a sandwich.  A nice Italian man helped us pick out what he called his favorite Italian wine.  I can't wait to try it.  I also purchased a new cheese, similar to Parmesan, great for grating, milder and cheaper which was nice.

Liguria Bakery:  1700 Stockton St (at Filbert).  Although I didn't go into the bakery and experience the Foccacia Natzies (aka like the Soup Natzies on Seinfield), I was told not to dilly dally and know what you want when you go in and not to take it personally if the ladies are mean to me.  They are mean to everyone.  I did however get to taste the Rosemary foccacia and the Rosemary garlic foccacia and it was fresh and tasty with just the right amount of seasoning and not too greasy as some foccacia's can be.  Update:  I did check it out, go early or they could be out of the flavor you want.  When I went they only had mushroom and onion.  The mushroom was good but I liked the rosemary better because I like a lot of flavor.  I ordered promptly and the ladies were nice but one bozo asked "Do you think my kid will like the onion foccacia" and she replied "how do I know what your kid likes".  UPDATE:  Tried the focaccia, know what you want before you get to the counter and go early or they sell out.  The focaccia was excellent!

Victoria's (Stockton & Vallejo): Although I didn't purchase anything this visit I did try the handmade torrone (egg white and hazelnut Italian toffee).   It was yummy and didn't stick to your teeth.  I was told it was pricey but worth every nickle.  I was also told to try the following:  St. Honore Cake, Bruni de Brutti (good but ugly), and Osso della Morte (bones of the dead cookies), gingerbread bars and espresso.

Naan & Curry (Columbus at Jackson):  Not the prettiest place, didn't smell great but maybe that is because I'm new to Indian food and curry can be strong but never the less the Naan bread for $1.50 was big and worked out great for a pizza when we got home.  Next time I'll purchase two for the road.  Per the guide, the curries are good, decent food and friendly servers.  I'll stick to the Naan for now.

Mario's Bohemian Cigar Store (Untion & Columbus):  Mario's is typically not a place I would have tried in SF but our favorite bartender at Vesuvio's recommended it when asked where can we get a good sandwich.  The name alone (containing Cigar) would have been enough to make me think not.  Food and smoke don't settle well with me unless we are talking BBQ.  Asking a local is always a good idea because you usually end up with great food at inexpensive prices.  Mario's was one of those places.  Don't overlook Mario's, give it a try, you will be pleasantly surprised.  The meatball sub was a repeater.  The tour guide suggested the sausage and foccacia sandwich, a glass of red wine and a window seat.  Cheap eats!

Mo's Hamburgers:  Talk about diversity, it's an All American Diner, in the Italian district, run by a Middle Eastern man (so I was told) which made for a great combo. Running into Mo's was unexpected in the North End but a wonderful find. Known for their hamburgers, but I was fascinated by their breakfasts and will be returning to try one of the scrumptious looking dishes I saw pass by me at the counter. Will I have pancakes with fresh fruit on the side or French toast topped with strawberries? My hubby will go for the breakfast burrito I'm sure. It looked like a meal for two which is perfect.
Since we were set on lunch, I had the Belly Buster burger with caramelized onions and mushrooms. The caramelized onions and mushrooms were so great I could have gone without the burger itself. I think Mo needs to do a vegetarian burger just with these onions and mushrooms along with avocado and tomato. It would be something I would order for sure. It could be the Belly Friendly Burger. These were the best caramelized onions I have ever had. Hubby had the chili burger which he also enjoyed but I didn't try it since my belly was already bustin.  Cheap eats.

Golden Boy: (Green St.) Grab a slice of pie and eat on the run or bring it to Grant and Green and have a drink while enjoying your slice.  Cheap Eats.

Busters (Columbus Ave.)  Authentic cheese steak sandwiches.  Go for the large.  Counter service or to go.  Cheap Eats!

Vesuvio's: (Columbus Ave.) Favorite quirky beat nick bar with nice bartenders and eclectic furnishings

O'Reiley's Irish Bar and Restaurant (Green Street):  Stop by for a pint.
For a good view of the city go to the top of the parking garage, through the alley between Green and Vallejo.

No comments:

Post a Comment