Wednesday, February 23, 2011

February's trip to Napa Valley

We went wine tasting in Napa Valley for the first time in awhile.  I felt it had gotten too expensive to make sense.  On Tuesday when we headed up to Napa for lunch and I was pleasantly surprised that some wineries were still between $5-10 dollars.  And if you check out on line deals before you go you can find some to print and some you can use via your smart phone.  
  • During this trip we had lunch at Rutherford Grill (my favorite place for French Dip, Blackened Fish Sandwich (actual fish will vary), Rotisserie Chicken Sandwich and the best Coleslaw I have ever eaten, they also have fall off the bone ribs and moist mouth watering cornbread.  Heck everything I have ever had is good, so try your favorite.  There are two different versions of the coleslaw (Summer and Winter).  I  never order coleslaw when I am out but here I order both so you have to go at least twice a year.
  • After lunch we stopped at V.Sattui, sat outside at the picnic table and drank a bottle of Gamay Rouge (one we brought from home).  VSattui is one of my favorite places.  I love their cheese shop and deli so if your not prepared you can get what you need for a picnic on site.  Their tastings are either $5 or $10 for the premium taste, or if you prefer just purchase a bottle and do your own tasting during your picnic.
  • After enjoying the winter sun and nice day, we drove up to St. Helena walked and window shopped before heading over to the Silverado trail.  Two of my favorite stores are Baksheesh Fair Trade.  They have lovely handmade items.  I found a birdbath I have been wanting and their costume jewelry is inexpensive.  The bonus is your purchases help fair trade with artisans in the developing world and the US.  The other is Steve's Hardware & Homeware Inc.  Some items are a bit expensive but the variety of homeware/kitchen items are awesome.
  • On the way we stopped by Black Stallion for a tasting.  Their wines were good but not quite our taste so we didn't buy.  We like bold reds and even their cabs were a bit mellow.  The Merlot or the Sarah were the two we liked the best but not enough to buy.  Their wines on this day ran between $35-$50.  The tasting was a two for one, for $10 (love a coupon, go on line and print the coupon before you go).
Going forward as we check out wineries I will compile a list of my favorites.  They will be places with great wine, a great view, a nice shop or good picnic grounds. 

No comments:

Post a Comment