Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Mission District, SF

This past weekend we did the "Mission Murals" tour, given by City Guides.  It is a tour worth taking, the guide was very knowledgeable and was "chalk" full of information.  She must have been a good teacher.

The murals were absolutely gorgeous, painted the Leonard Flynn Elementary School, the Precita Center, the Garfield Square and Pool, other public buildings, walls and even garage doors.  The best spot was Balmy Alley and the best part was that people respected the artists work and for the most part they don't deface them with graffiti.  When it does happen the artists quickly repaint.  Below you will see some of the shots I took.

Getting off Bart and the beginning of the walk to the meeting place things felt a bit sketchy but by the time we were at the meeting place and after the tour we were totally comfortable heading back.  There is lots of diversity.  My only regret about the trip was that we didn't do Mexican food, next visit it is all about the taco's or empanadas I recently read about and getting to know the area better.

On my list of restaurants to try was That's It (liqueur store):  Yes it is a liqueur store.  Not a place I would typically want to go but the crazy big Torta Cubana sandwich I saw on "No Reservations" is worth a try.  Strangest thing is that it had hot dogs on it along with a fried meat of choice, ham, cheese and an egg.  It looked ridiculous but I have to say I tried it, and that we did.  It was as big as your head, split it and enjoy.  It was good and definitely worth a try if only to say you did it but once is enough for me.  If I lived in the area it would be the best morning after sandwich but with so many places to try in the area I'll have to hit a new spot next time.

So here are some of my photographs, the colors are amazing, the artists are talented.













Can't wait to see this one finished

I thought this one was funny because even in 1972 the artist might have thought cell phones cause brain cancer

No comments:

Post a Comment