Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Livermore Wine Tasting trip

This Memorial Day weekend we headed over to Livermore to do some wine tasting.  We wanted to stay fairly local to avoid any crazy traffic.  With a limited number of wineries left on our list that we have not tried we were happy to find three new wineries, in close proximity that turned out to be GREAT finds. 

Ruby Hill Winery:  We started here.  It is a large winery and I don't know why we had never ventured in.  It a beautiful rock exterior building with a floral landscaped yard.  I can't believe I didn't get some pictures of the outside.  Definitely a reason for me to return, besides the wine of course. When I return I'll add a few photos.  Once inside the soft lemon interior welcomed us with a ton of things to purchase before you even  made it to the wine tasting bar.  I would recommend taking a look before you take a drink because frankly I probably spent too much money.  As for us we headed right to the counter for our tastes.  They have over 25 to taste but will base it on what you enjoy.  For us it is bold reds.  We tasted, enjoyed our time, the server was a bit busy so couldn't spend the time I may have liked because "the censurer" had way too many pretentious questions and comments but the time she was able to spend was lovely.  We purchased 4 bottles, two called "Grapeful Red" red wine.  I purchased it for four reasons, it was good, I loved the label and name, it was fun and lastly because of cost at $15 it makes a great everyday wine.  I also purchased the Ruby Hill Estate Reserve Sangiovese 2008 for $27.  Sangiovese is something my husband is recognizing he likes.  We started out with Merlot, moved to Cabs, dabble in Ports and now we are starting to learn about other grapes we enjoy.  Sangiovese is the latest one.  Lastly for wine we also purchased the Bella Gemma 2009 Livermore Valley Dessert Wine.  If memory serves me it was a port but that name probably only applies to certain areas so it was called a dessert wine.  Either way it tasted good at the time.  When we finally drink it I'll let you know if that held true.  I also purchased a gift for someone and a fig vinegar from Olivina in Livermore.  I can't wait to try it on a salad.

Tenuta Vineyards was our second stop only because our next planned stop was closed and boy was I happy.  It was a bit out of the way, through the vineyards and Garmin was getting a bit lost but we kept driving, took a few pictures of the vineyards and trudged on until we found it.  Nice unassuming building with a one lane row of parking that required you to back out or drive forward and do a uturn in order to get out turned out to be a remarkable find.  It was jumpin inside, packed full of people, more than the parking lot seemed to imply so maybe it was a longer strip than I originally thought.  The music was blasting, no pretentious wine snobs here, just fun, fun, fun.  It was so loud it was a bit hard to hear the server but I was loving it, it was so unexpected it made me smile.  We began tasting and then one of the guys asked me what I would like to hear, I suggested Third Eye Blind and he immediately rocked the house.  Just so happened it was time for a tour and barrel tasting so we headed off into the small winery building to check things out.  It was interesting to here that a lot of people use this facility to produce their own wine so not only do they make their own but other wine makers do also.  Our last stops were a snack before heading out (a curling team/event was happening when we got there so there were leftover goodies), a taste of the tasty sangria (the recipe got washed so I hope I can get a copy), signing up for their email list/volunteer list (there is only one paid employee and the rest are all volunteers) and ending the Tenuta experience by purchasing the Petite Sirah 2007.  I can't wait to take my friends there.  I'm assuming it will be just as lively since they are known as the Rock and Roll winery and BTW I met Elvis while I was there.

Last stop was a stones throw away, in fact it was in the same building and within walking distance (a few steps).  It was a Hungarian winery, En Garde.  Although we didn't walk away with any wines we did purchase futures of their 3 berry port.  It was like no port I've ever tasted, very berry.  I can't wait till it is ready.  I believe it is a matter of printing the labels.  Their wines were more pricey than some but less pricey and better than some Napa Valley wines I've tried.  I believe they were starting at $40.  I know the port we purchased was $40 and we had to buy 2 futures.  This tasting room was tiny, maybe held 5 people, 10 would be crowded but the owner was friendly and I highly recommend.

What a wonderful Memorial Day spent in Livermore Valley.  We have less than 20 places left to try and then we begin going back to narrow down to the wines we really love.  When you go to a winery a few things come into play, the people you are with, the people who serve you, the atmosphere, the service and the wine.  Any one of these can make it a better or worse experience so I don't want to discount great wines because of poor company so when all is said and done we will know our favorite wineries and our favorite wines.

No comments:

Post a Comment