Thursday, August 29, 2013

Favorite SF Places Outside of North Beach

Although North Beach is our main area to eat and drink.  We do try other areas so I thought I would list them here.  Since we don't go as often I don't know them as well so they did not hit my favorites list but I have been and would go back they are listed here.  Most if not all of them I've written up in YELP, the R rating indicates the number of stars, eg R4 equals 4 out of 5 stars.

EMBARCADERO:
  • Pier 23:  On Pier 23 on the Embarcadero

OFF FISHERMANS WHARF/NORTH BEACH END:
  • Sweeties:  475 Francisco St.  My kind of dive bar with regulars.
  • Fior D'Italia   2237 Mason St.  This is a regular stop, good happy hour, apps and the gnocchi are pillows of heaven.
  • Fiddlers Green:  1333 Columbus Ave.  Regular stop for a drink.  R4
  • Buena Vista Café:  2765 Hyde St.  Must stop for the famous Irish Coffee.  R4

SOMA:
  • Petes Tavern: 128 King St.  Perfect stop before or after a game at AT&T park.

FINANCIAL DISTRICT:
  • Irish Times:  500 Sacramento St.  Regular stop for a drink, food just OK, nothing to write home about.
  • Irish Bank10 Mark Ln.  Initially I liked how you can sit outside on a sunny day but the buildings can also block the sun causing it to be chilly.  Food just OK, would not go there if it was just the two of us.  Better if a group. R4
  • Tadish Grill:  240 California St, Don't miss this place if you want a good seafood dinner. R4
  • Harringtons Bar & Grill:  245 Front St, never eaten here only drank. R4
     
UNION SQUARE:
  • Union Square Sports Bar:  115 Mason St.  Not the best neighbord street but good for a drink. R4
  • Johnny Foleys:  243 O'Farrell St  Favorite stop for a drink and food but it can be hard to find a table.  R4
  • Daily Grill:  347 Geary St, R4.  Nice place.
HAYES VALLEY:
  • Sauce:  Both locations:  131 Gough St and Belden Place  See write up on Yelp, the portabella fries are to die for.
  • Sugar Lounge377 Hayes St, Happy hour M-F 5-7, free appetizers.  On my visit they were tempura fried veggies like broccoli & potatoes (not exciting or crisp), sliced chicken with a great sauce and very good guacamole, salsa and chips.  But really who can complain about free!  I liked how they had a listing of specialty cocktails if you choose to partake.  Next time I may try the thyme lemonade drink.  The onyx lighted bar is beautiful, music can vary based on bar tender but when second shift arrived it got better.  R3
  • Dobbs Bar:  409 Hayes St.  This bar was more my style, a bit divier and louder music.  Dobbs also has a list of specialty drinks and one I found funny was Spa Water which was cucumber infused vodka.  I was interested in trying because I do cucumber and jalapeno infused vodka and tequilas and the cucumber doesn't impart a lot so I think it would taste a bit like pure vodka.  But I won't knock it till I try it.

CROCKER - AMAZON:
Broken Record:  1166 Geneva Ave, Dive bar with top notch food.  What more can one ask for. R4

LOWER PACIFIC HEIGHTS:
Harry's Bar:  2020 Fillmore St, lively during Sunday brunch. R3

OUTER RICHMOND:
Tea Off Bar & Grill:  3129 Clement St, A total dive bar, making you wonder about the kitchen.  Mixed review but I did give it a R4.

No comments:

Post a Comment