Friday, March 28, 2014

Stuffed Pepper Soup, one of my Favorites

I tried Stuffed Pepper Soup for the first time on 5/26/2011 at my sister in laws in PA and wrote it up in June where I said some of the same stuff here but I made changes and today 1/10/2020 I'm updating this recipe to what I do today.

This is another soup this CA girl had never heard of before this. I didn’t think I would like it because I'm not a fan of green bell peppers but I did. It is very good, thick like chili and it has turned into a one of my favorite soups.  I starting testing my recipe when I got back from PA on June 1 and after a few modifications this is what I now do.

MY STUFFED PEPPER SOUP
1 lb. lean ground beef
1 onion, chopped
4 bell peppers (2 red, 2 green), chopped
1 T. dried basil
½ t. salt
½ t. pepper
1 T. garlic, chopped
2 T. tomato paste
1 (14.5 oz.) can diced tomatoes
15 oz. can tomato sauce + ½ can water (1 C.)
32 oz. beef stock
1 T. Worcestershire sauce
1 C. uncooked brown rice, rinsed

In a large stock pot start to brown ground beef.  When it is browned on one side, stir
Meanwhile chop onions and bell peppers.  Ad to pot along with basil, salt and pepper.  Cook till onions are soft. 

Add garlic and tomato paste, saute another minute.  Add remaining ingredients except rice and simmer uncovered on low for 1 hour.  Rinse rice in cold water and add to pot.  Cover and cook another 30 minutes.  Serve.


NOTES:  


  • One bell pepper equals a cup of chopped peppers.  When peppers are cheap, chop and freeze.  When you thaw them they will be watery but that is OK just empty it all into the pot with the beef and onions.  I've used both red and green and just red (just red pictured).
  • Garlic:  I've used both fresh garlic and chopped jarred garlic, both work., so it depends on what I have on hand and how much work I want to do.
  • Rice:  I have used white rice and brown rice, both are good.  Brown rice makes it better for you and is a bit chewier which I like. Don’t add more rice.  You may think it isn’t enough but it swells and any more would take up all liquid.  As is, it is very chunky. 
  • Chopped and stewed tomatoes both work.
  • Since this soup is so flavorful beef broth is just as good.


Do Ahead:  

  • Cook the initial hour but stop before adding rice.  Continue before ready to serve.
  • When bell peppers are on sale, chop and freeze for use in this soup.  I freeze the red and green separately but in one bag.  I just fold the zip top bag in half and put the red on the right and the green on the left and freeze folded over so they don't mix.




No comments:

Post a Comment