Thursday, April 17, 2014

Drink Week continues

This was a long week and I think it is because Thursday is the day we to out for drinks but this week I have been experimenting at home so every morning it feels like it should be Friday.

After Sunday's Cucumber Fizz I tried the following.

Lemon Drops are not new but I was given some Meyer Lemons so I wanted to see if there was much difference.  Don't know that there was much difference but they were as good as usually.  What I did do was, before I juiced them I used my ribbon zester to get the peel off and for a final attempt to try and make Meyer Lemon Vodka.  The first time I tried this I ended up throwing it out because I thought it was a bit bitter and perfumy.  Maybe I had too much pith or maybe Meyers don't work.  I'll let you know.  The leftover skins looked so beautiful they were be good as cups, maybe filled with jello or something.  So I ended up using the juice, the pith and I could have used the cups.  I use to think that Triple Sec was just as good but after a side by side test in this type of drink go for the Cointreau, for a Long Island Iced Tea or other fruity mixed drink Triple Sec is fine.

HAPS LEMON DROP
3 shots Stolie Vodka
½ shot Cointreau
½ shot fresh lemon juice (juice from ½ lemon)
½ shot simple syrup

Add to shaker filled with ice, in order given.  Shake.  Serve up in a martini glass.  Garnish with a lemon or orange rind.

Since I had leftover pink grapefruit juice in the fridge I modified my Mango Mule.  Ginger beer is a bit sweet for me so I will try half ginger beer and half soda water next time.

GRAPEFRUIT MULE
1 -1.5 oz. vodka
4 oz. Ginger beer
Splash pink grapefruit juice
Squeeze of lemon (½ oz.)

Add vodka to a tall glass filled with ice.  Top off with ginger beer, grapefruit juice and a squeeze of lemon.

This was the best new drink of the three which surprised me because I'm not a fan of mint.  This gave my Strawberry Basil martini some stiff competition but best of all since my Spearmint plant survived the winter I now have a use for this herb.

STRAWBERRY MINT TINI
2 lg. strawberry, diced
10 mint leaves
6 oz. Stolie vodka
1 oz. fresh lemon juice
1 oz. simple syrup

To a large shaker add diced strawberry and mint leaves, muddle.  Add remaining ingredients and ice. Shake.  Strain into 2 martini glasses.

This week I also made two Jalapeno & Cucumber liqueurs (tequila and vodka).  They are both always winners.
Now today is Thursday so we will head out to the local pub for our standard cocktails.  I should give my liver a break next week but I'll have to at least try my new infusions.  CHEERS!



No comments:

Post a Comment