Saturday, July 19, 2014

Canning and Pickling is getting easier with practice

I'm not saying that it is a hard process but once you have done it a few times the nerves go away which make it easier and less stressful and the time to do it shortens.  Also since I got a new stove the time it takes to bring the huge pot of water to a boil has reduced considerably, maybe by about 15-30 minutes.  I'll have to time it next time to make sure.

Most recently I received my free bowls of apricots from my neighbor so I made quite a few differnt things like apricot butter.  The apricot butter recipe was nice because I did it in the oven and although I stirred it about every 15-20 minutes it was more relaxing than doing it on the stove top.


APRICOT BUTTER
4 lb. apricots
½ C. water
3 T. bottled lemon juice
4 C. sugar
1 t. cinnamon
¼ t. ground allspice
¼ t. nutmeg
¼ t. salt

Clean, pit and chop apricots.  Put in a large heavy bottomed saucepan with water, and lemon juice and cook for 15-20 minutes until apricots are soft.  Using a stick blender puree fruit or if you don’t have a stick blender use a food processor or blender.  Return to pot if you removed.  Add sugar, cinnamon, allspice, nutmeg and salt.  Bring to a boil, stirring until sugar is dissolved.  Remove to a braising or roasting pan.  Put in oven and cook until thick about 1 1/2 - 2 hours.  Stir every 15 minutes or so it doesn’t burn or stick to the bottom and sides.  The butter is done when a sample is put on a plate and there is no rim of liquid around it.  Ladle into hot jars, wipe rims and seal.  Process in a water bath canner for 10 minutes.  Makes 5-6 half pint jars.

I also made a quick Apricot Pastry using last years apricot jam, this years whole apricots and puff pastry.
I used the jam along with cream cheese and a sprinkle of goat cheese for a quick appetizer.
I made this wonderful Cinnamon Apricot bread.
I added some to rum and some to brandy.
I put some in apple cider vinegar for an infused Apricot Vinegar.  And then I had had enough so I froze packages of chopped apricots in 2C portions.  

Before I made the butter I had already started for the second attempt, pickled strawberries and watermelon rind.  The first time I did pickled strawberries they were extremely sour.  Now that I have tried a new recipe I moved my first attempt recipe to the infused vinegar section.  It makes for a flavorful vinegar but eating the strawberries alone were just too sour.  Adding them to a salad helped so I didn't have to toss them out.  My second attempt resulted in sweet strawberries and I can't wait to make them again but I think I'll simplify the recipe and get rid of the 2T measurements.  Not sure why this bugs me beyond a spoon to wash but it just seems unnecessary.  This is a good June/July gift for someone during peak strawberry season.  So here is what I did the first two times.

STRAWBERRY VINEGAR

6 – 8 fresh strawberries, stems removed, quartered
1 C apple cider vinegar
1 t salt
1 t sugar
1 sliced or halved jalapeño or serrano pepper
½ t whole black peppercorns
¼ t whole coriander


Add strawberries to a jar.  Mix other ingredients.  Pour over jar.


PICKLED STRAWBERRIES

1 lb. strawberries, stemmed, halved or quartered
½ C. + 2T white balsamic vinegar
½ C. + 2T granulated sugar
½ C. + 2T water

Bring to a boil, stirring to melt sugar. Remove from heat. Wash, stem and cut in half or quarter larger strawberries. Place in a glass jar. Pour warm liquid over top. Let cool to room temperature and refrigerate overnight. Best eaten within 2 weeks.

Note: If you leave larger pieces you can skewer them with mozzarella for a twist on caprese.


Serving Suggestions: Serve over goat cheese, cream cheese, Greek yogurt, pancakes, ice cream, in salads, use the vinegar as part of the vinaigrette in place of the vinegar and sweetener, skewer with mozzarella and basil or mint, serve on toasted bread spread with cheese

Leftovers: Use vinegar liquid in salad dressings.

No comments:

Post a Comment