Friday, January 9, 2015

Easiest Way to Cook Polenta

Polenta has been on my list for sometime to try and cook.   I have been collecting different recipes so when I found this one on Cooking.com I had to give it a try.  Any recipe where I can use my slow cooker for more than the standard fare of roasts or soups is always something worth trying. Unfortunately I forgot to take a picture but when I make this again, which I will, I will add one.

I put this on before we left and although I got home 40 minutes late it was still soft and creamy, not dry however next time I will try and stick to the 1 ½-2 hours as suggested to see if it is even better. I served it topped with about a pound of sautéed baby bella mushrooms, it was what I had on hand so it was plenty for our two servings.  It was not truly enough of a main dish for us but a great side dish. We would have liked it more as a main dish if I would have added another vegetable like roasted broccoli or some sautéed chicken.

I heated some of the leftover polenta in the micorwave for 2 minutes this morning for breakfast and stirred in a ½ T. butter and 1 T. half and half.

The only change I would make to the recipe next time is to use less salt.  Recipe called for 3 t. which I thought was a bit too salty.  Next time I'll try 2 and if still too salty will reduce it once again.  I also used less mushrooms so I reduced the garlic, butter and EVOO quite a bit.

POLENTA
7 ½ C. very hot or boiling water
2 C. polenta or coarse cornmeal
2 T. olive oil
2 t. salt
½ C. fresh Parmesan, grated

Fill kettle or medium pot with water and bring to a boil.  Lightly grease crock pot with EVOO (drizzle and spread with a paper towel).  Add polenta, oil, salt and boiling water.  Cook on high for 1 ½-2 hours until most of water is absorbed (mine cooked for 2 hr. 40 minutes and it was still good just probably not as moist as it would have been).  Add Parmesan and stir to combine.  Set crock pot to warm until ready to serve.  Makes 6-8 servings.

Mushroom Topping:  
1-2 lb. cremini mushrooms
Drizzle EVOO
2-4 cloves garlic, minced
½ C. chicken broth or white wine
Fresh thyme
Salt and Pepper to taste
1 T. butter

Saute crimini mushrooms in a drizzle of EVOO on medium heat for 5 minutes or until mushrooms release their juices and start to brown.  Add minced cloves garlic, saute another minute.  Add thyme, salt, pepper and dry white wine or chicken broth to deglaze pan.  Scrape up any bits on the bottom of pan and cook for 2 minutes.  Add butter, stir to melt.  Serve over polenta.



No comments:

Post a Comment