Tuesday, March 3, 2015

New "Spring" Recipe: Asparagus Soup for Meatless Monday

I call this Spring Asparagus soup because it was a bit pricey for such a simple soup.  Asparagus was $2.50 a bunch, chicken stock is about $2.50 a box but I had on hand but with just these two items it was $10.  The original recipe called for creme fraiche but that was $6.99 a container bringing the price to $17 and that doesn't include my staples (onion, butter, salt, pepper, lemon zest or lemon juice).  To reduce the cost I used sour cream which was under $2.  You can also make your own creme fraiche with 2 C. heavy cream and 2-3 T. buttermilk so I've read.  I haven't tried it but I did buy some heavy cream to test it out so I'll let you know.

End result was a very good soup that I will make again.  I did forget to add the 2 T. of lemon juice to the soup which I will add next time since I liked the lemon flavor in the sour cream.  The raw tips were OK, more was not better, don't save all the tips for a garnish because it is too much.  Save about 6 T only.  Topping the soup with the tips added a good visual effect and a few of them added a nice crunch but when I added more since I had a lot it was a bit bitter.  Next time I'll either add some to the soup after I puree it and cook it a little longer to soften them or par boil or saute them a bit so they are not totally raw but still crisp and use as a topping.

Original recipe came from Sunday's Times Newspaper.

Served with a roasted brussel sprout salad with feta, dried cherries and a maple vinaigrette.  It was the perfect start to a normal week.




SPRING ASPARAGUS SOUP
3 bunches asparagus (3 lbs.) tough ends removed
2 T. unsalted butter
1 medium onion, chopped
6 C. chicken stock
1 T. kosher salt
½ t. coarse ground black pepper
2 T. lemon juice (forgot but will add next time)
Lemon Sour Cream:
½ C. sour cream
1 t. lemon zest
1 t. lemon juice
⅛ t. Kosher salt
⅛ t. coarse black pepper

Peal and chop the onion.  To a large soup pot add the butter to melt and the onions.  Saute till soft, about 5 minutes.  Meanwhile, remove the tough asparagus ends.  You can determine where to cut if you grab the ends of one piece and bend it.  It will break where the soft part starts which is about 2-3" from tip end.  Discard this tough bottom portion.  Do this for all spears.  Cut an inch off the top of all the spears.  Cut those pieces on the diagonal and set aside.  Cut the rest of the asparagus in ½ inch pieces.  When the onions are soft add the broth, bring to a boil over high heat.  Add the asparagus pieces, minus the tops and cook for 8-10 minutes on a medium simmer or till asparagus is soft.  With an emulsion blender puree the soup till smooth.  Add half the tips back to the pot and simmer another 3 minutes or saute in a pan.

For the topping mix the sour cream, lemon juice and zest, salt and pepper.  Put in refrigerator till ready to serve.  To each serving bowl add a sprinkle of the raw tips and a dollop of sour cream.





No comments:

Post a Comment