Friday, June 12, 2015

VEGETARIAN ENCHILADA QUINOA, this weeks new recipe

I found this on Pinterest and added it to my "Recipes I must try" list and thank goodness I did.  It was quick, easy, very tasty, vegetarian which is a bonus and pretty healthy.  I will make it again and I would even make it for our Football Sunday potlucks at the bar since it only takes 3 hours and I would prep it the night before.  I only made two changes to the original recipe.   I used a can of diced tomatoes undrained and a can of roasted diced green chilies drained.  I didn't use the combo tomato and green chilies because that is not something I keep on hand.  I would always rather use my staples.  Instead of vegetable broth I used vegetable stock, again because it is what I had.  Normally I don't have vegetable stock on hand so I would probably use chicken broth.

If you simply can't do without meat, however I would suggest you at least try it first without because it wasn't missed but you could add cooked ground beef, turkey or chicken or frankly your favorite meat.

I forgot to take a picture this time but you can see how pretty it is here.  The original recipe came from Cooking Classy.  http://www.cookingclassy.com/2014/12/slow-cooker-enchilada-quinoa-bake/

VEGETARIAN ENCHILADA QUINOA

Drizzle of EVOO or canola

1 yellow onion, chopped
1 red bell pepper, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 1/2 C. dry quinoa
2 1/4 C. vegetable stock
14.5 oz. can diced tomatoes, undrained
4 oz. can diced fire roasted green chilies, drained
8 oz. can tomato sauce
2 T. chili powder
1 1/2 t. ground cumin
1/2 t. Kosher salt
1/4 t. coarse black pepper
14.5 oz. can black beans, drained, rinsed
14.5 oz. can pinto beans, drained
1 1/2 C. frozen corn
1 1/2 C. cheddar, Jack or Mexican blend cheese
Toppings: Diced avocado, tomatoes, chopped cilantro, green onions, lime wedge

Chop onion, bell pepper and mince garlic. Saute onion and bell pepper for 3 minutes, add garlic and saute another minute. Add to slow cooker. Top with quinoa, stock, tomatoes, chilies, tomato sauce, and spices. Stir. Cover and cook on high for about 2 hours, check to make sure it hasn't dried out and if OK continue to cook another 45 minutes. If it is dry add a little but more broth to moisten but not enough so that it is soupy.

Add frozen corn, drained beans, stir. Sprinkle cheese on top, cover and cook an additional 10-15 minutes or till cheese is melted.

Note: Original recipe said 2 hr. 45 min-3 hr. 15 minutes but after the 2 hr 45 min all the liquid was absorbed and verging on dry so keep an eye out because slow cookers vary, which is why I now say check after 2 hours. I also didn't rinse the pinto beans so that gave it a bit more moisture and if I rince next time it would be another reason to keep an eye on it. Since it was dry I added a splash more stock when I added the corn and beans since it had to cook an additional 10-15 minutes.

Variations:
  • Add cooked ground meat, turkey, beef or chicken.
  • Add a diced jalapeno or pablano for a bit more spice.
  • Use enchilada sauce vs tomato sauce.
  • UPDATEI tried another version but unfortunately I was swayed by the  name of "fajitas" which it was not.  It turned out to be VERY similar to this recipe but this flavor profile is better because the fajita seasoning has a lime flavor which in the "stew" or "casserole" it didn't work.  That recipe is called Crockpot Quinoa, Sweet Potato & Chicken Fajitas.  There wasn't enough chicken in this recipe for the fajita name but as a Quinoa taco topped with chicken, maybe. 


    No comments:

    Post a Comment