Thursday, September 17, 2015

Taco Stuffed Shells

It has been awhile since I posted something.  I'm always trying new recipes but when they need improvements I don't publish them.  This one was perfect.  I got it out of the newspaper, Contra Costa Times and I will definitely make it again, especially since we didn't have seconds and hubby forgot to put the leftovers in the refrigerator so they had to be tossed, sad morning.
The original recipe used the entire box of shells and 1 1/2 lb. of ground turkey and topped it with green onions and I used the cheese I had on hand, Colby Jack, but the rest was the same so you will be able to do more shells but not sure if the filling will do the whole box of shells as suggested.
The only change I will try next time is to use my homemade taco seasoning and the cheese will be what ever I have on hand.  I would also like to try another sauce like enchilada but the Taco sauce was great.  I think it would also be good served with sour cream, guacamole and shredded lettuce to bring the TACO theme full circle.


TACO STUFFED SHELLS
1 lb. ground turkey, cooked and crumbled
2 t. chile powder
½ t. cumin
¼ t. salt
10 oz. tub of cream cheese with chives
Half box jumbo shells, 22
12 oz. bottle Taco sauce
1 C. Mexican cheese
10 crumbled tortilla chips

Cook and crumble ground turkey till  no longer pink.  Add seasoning and cream cheese.  Stuff 21 shells, place in a 7x11” baking dish.  Top with taco sauce.  Cover with foil, bake 20 minutes.  Top with Mexican cheese and crumbled tortilla chips and bake another 15 minutes.  Makes 22 shells.


No comments:

Post a Comment