Tuesday, November 10, 2015

Soup Season is Upon Us and I am SO Excited!

This weeks soup was a repeat, first made it back on Oct. 24, 2009 but since I didn't have a picture and accurate notes in my cookbook I had to give it another try.  This soup is a bit different but good and a healthy vegetarian choice.  The peanut flavor and allspice is what stands out with a hint of heat which it originally needed to spice it up a bit.  First bite, I wasn't sure but it grew on me.  In the end I liked it which is why my original note simply said good, wouldn't say great but it is a 3 out of 5 because it is different but after two days of eating it I wanted no more.  It is a good Fall or Thanksgiving time soup.  The second time I made it I used chunky peanut butter but the blender doesn't get all the nuts so I think smooth is best, however it does work. Original recipe came from Eating Well October 2009, pg. 75.

WEST AFRICAN SWEET POTATO PEANUT BISQUE
3 medium sweet potatoes (light yellow flesh)
1 T. canola oil
1 red onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, grated or minced
2 (14.5 oz.) cans V8 juice
2 (15 oz.) cans vegetable broth, open one first
4 oz. can diced green chilies, drained
2 t. fresh ginger, grated
1 t. ground allspice
½ t. cumin
¼ t. red pepper flakes
¼ t. freshly ground pepper
½ C. natural smooth peanut butter

Prick potatoes with a fork several times.  Microwave on high 10-15 minutes or until a fork can be easily inserted and removed.  Set aside to cool.  Chop onion.  In a 10” skillet with lid saute onion in oil till tender.  Add lid so it softens but doesn't brown.  Add garlic and cook 1 more minute.  Add juice, one can of broth, green chilies, ginger, allspice, cumin, red pepper flakes and pepper.  Adjust heat to a gentle boil and cook for 10 minutes.  Meanwhile cut the potatoes in half and scoop out pulp.  Add to pot along with peanut butter.  Stir.  With an emulsion blender puree until smooth.  If too thick, add second can.  Makes 4-5 servings.

Note:  Depending on the size of your potatoes you may need to add more liquid which is why the second time I made it I had to add an additional can of broth

No comments:

Post a Comment