Friday, January 29, 2016

Asian Cabbage Rolls

Although my sister in law would think I’m crazy these were actually really good.  My grocery store only  had one 3.5 oz. package of shitaki mushrooms so I used one plus half of an 8 oz. package of baby portabella mushrooms.  This didn’t make a difference so next time I’ll use all portabella mushrooms and save $2.00.  I also always use Braggs liquid amino acids vs. so but if you haven't switched over soy is the same.  Original recipe came from Cuisine at Home, #97, Jan 2013.  One thing I was able to do at my grocery store was to only buy 10 cabbage leaves.  When I weighted the cabbage it was heavy and $8 since it was $1.99/pound.  The grocery man said I could peel off the leaves I needed since it was sold per pound.  Check with your grocer but this was perfect, under $2.


ASIAN CABBAGE ROLLS
¾ C. cooked brown rice
8 oz. baby portabella mushrooms, chopped
½ C. fresh cilantro, scissor cut
½ C. carrot, shredded
1 lb. ground pork
¾ C. frozen shelled edamame
2 T. amino acids (soy sauce)
1 T. garlic, minced
1 T. fresh ginger, grated
1 t. kosher salt
½ t. red pepper flakes
12 large outer napa cabbage leaves
Sauce:
¾ C. low sodium vegetable broth
¼ C. rice vinegar
¼ C. soy sauce
2 T. chili garlic sauce
1 T. fresh ginger, grated
1 T. toasted sesame oil
1 T. brown sugar
2 t. cornstarch

Preheat oven to 400°F.  Cook rice.  Clean, slice then chop mushrooms, pick and measure cilantro leaves, cut with scissors in measuring cup and grate carrots.  In a large bowl combine raw pork, mushrooms, cilantro, carrot, rice, frozen edamame, amino acids, garlic, ginger, salt and red pepper flakes.  Mix to combine.  In a 2 cup measure add all sauce ingredients.  Whisk, set aside.  Remove outer cabbage leaves from head, wash, place each one individually on a cutting board and with a rolling pin roll to crush the leaf, especially the stem to make it pliable to you can roll it.  When you crush the leaf you release some of the water in the stem.  Place a ⅓ C. of the filling on the stem end of the leaf and roll up.  Place in a 9x13” baking pan.  If the leaf is large enough tuck in the sides like a burrito but if not or they won’t stay it doesn’t matter.  Do this for each leaf until you run out of filling.  Makes 10 rolls.  Pour sauce over rolls.  Cover with foil.  Bake 30-40 minutes or until thermometer inserted into middle of roll registers 160°F.

Serving Suggestion:  Serve with rice or roasted vegetables drizzled with the pan sauce.

Note:  I would suggest making the rolls and sauce in the morning and storing in the refrigerator. When ready to eat pour sauce over rolls and bake.  It is a bit time consuming on a busy evening.  The sauce was not thick which I expected because of the cornstarch but it is needed to cook the rolls.  I only put a couple of teaspoons of the sauce over the rolls and I didn’t serve it with rice so most of the sauce went to waste which is why I wonder if I should thicken the sauce after the rolls are cooked and use it more like a dipping sauce.  Maybe next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment