Friday, January 22, 2016

Getting Back on Track in 2016

After getting some inspiration from a friend we have decided to start doing better again.  We totally fell off the wagon during the holidays, which frankly is expected if you want to have fun, but it was just taking too long to get back on track.  Our last excuse was football season but  now that we are all out, it is time to do better.  I can't diet, even saying or thinking the word makes me binge.

I started back by eating breakfast everyday (avocado, 12 grain toast, Sriracha, EVOO), coffee or green tea and a fruit and eating lunch however these were not as well planned so not the best.  Two weeks ago we started Meatless Mondays, this upcoming Monday will be our third week.  Then after the inspirational Tuesday, I upped the game with consistent healthy dinners, we skipped our Thursday night out for a cocktail and are on the road to skip cocktails this weekend.   Hopefully no or less cocktails and eating better will shed some pounds before we have to be more drastic.   Wish us luck!

Hubby has already lost a few pounds, which is great but I wonder why not me too.  Men loose weight easier and does have more to loose but still.

I have been posting all my dishes to instagram, https://www.instagram.com/mckenziedianne/
First Monday:  Beet Burgers with a salad
Second Monday:  Spaghetti Squash Patty with a salad
Tuesday:  Mozzarella topped Chicken Tenders topped with a salad (see this on instagram)
Wednesday:  Baked Salmon with Roasted Broccoli (see recipe below)
Thursday:  Salsa Verde Burritos (blew it a bit since I had 2 because I forgot to plug in the crock pot with the actual dinner)

MAPLE CITRUS SALMON
2 salmon fillets
¼ C. raw almonds, coarsely chopped
Sauce:
½ oz. maple syrup
½ oz. OJ
½ T. lemon juice
½ T. amino acids (soy sauce)
1 clove garlic, minced

If using individually wrapped frozen salmon, place each fillet in a bowl of cold water for 5 minutes to thaw, then remove wrapper.  Place on a piece of parchment paper.  Chop or grind almonds, sprinkle over fish.  In a small bowl mix sauce ingredients.  Pour over nuts.  Place on a foil lined cookie sheet and bake 425° for 10-15 minutes.

Serving Suggestion:  Place a broccoli florets on half the cookie sheet and bake for 10 minutes while you prepare the salmon.  Then add the parchment paper with the salmon to the other half and bake another 10.

Note:  The individually wrapped frozen salmon fillets you get at Costco work great here.  They thaw in 5 minutes in a bowl of cold water.

For lunch on Thursday I tried a new salad:  Black Eyed Pea Salad with Fried Kalamata Olives and Parsnips from Southern at Heart.  Don't know if I have ever had black eyed peas, never fried kalamata olives but infusing the oil with them was a great idea for the dressing.  I think to bulk it up next time I'll serve the salad over lettuce.  

I also tried some Peanut Butter Energy Balls from a guest on the Rachael Ray show but I didn't care for the texture, too mushy, and they were just OK so I won't make them again.

No comments:

Post a Comment