Thursday, April 27, 2017

New Recipe Testing: Bloody Mary Salad, Spicy Coconut Chicken Soup, Jalapeno Fries

It's been awhile since I wrote up some new recipes I've been testing so here goes.  One is a hands down winner, a new family favorite.  I've made it three times since the first time, each time slightly different, discovering what I can and can't do.  Another one was spicy but comforting, quick and easy and the third, good but messy and more of something I would prefer to eat out and not very often.


The Bloody Mary Steak Salad is an explosion of flavor in your mouth. Best new salad this year even though it's only April. It was quick and easy to make. It is a total goober salad. Sometimes raw onions are overpowering so I'll pick around them but I cleaned my plate so don't be afraid. If you don't care for blue cheese stick with the ¼ cup. I used a half cup and it was good but a bit strong since blue cheese isn't a favorite. Original recipe came from the Sunday paper originally from "Mighty Salads" cookbook from Food52.com. It didn't have spinach but since I had some in the fridge I added it and it could have handled more. The next time I made it I used a head of romaine with more hot sauce, also excellent. Final test I added two heads of romaine lettuce and although good my goobers and dressing got a bit lost but for a crowd it is a good stretch but I'll stick with the spinach or only one head going forward.





BLOODY MARY STEAK SALAD
 
½-1 lb. skirt steak
1 pint grape tomatoes
¼ red onion (½ C.), thinly sliced
2 stalks (½ C.) celery, sliced
¼ C. (6 lg.) green olives, sliced
2 T. pickled jalapeños, diced
Lettuce: 2 large handfuls spinach or 1 head romaine
¼ C. picked parsley leaves
¼-½ C. blue cheese
Dressing:
2 T. horseradish
1 T. Worcestershire sauce
1 T. dry sherry
1 T. balsamic vinegar
1 ½ t. - 1 T. Franks hot sauce
1 T. lemon juice
¼ t. coarse black pepper
¼ t. Kosher salt
 
Grill steak in a grill pan or on the BBQ, 3 minutes per side. Remove. In a large glass bowl (plastic will stain) mix dressing ingredients. Slice steak across grain into thin bite size slices and add to dressing, let marinate for at least 30 minutes. Cut tomatoes in half, thinly slice onions, slice celery, olives and jalapeños. Add to bowl, stir. Pick leaves of parsley. Toss in parsley, spinach and blue cheese before you serve. Makes 2 servings.

Variations
  • Meat: Try Extra lean loin strips of beef, Beef Loin Top Sirloin, NY, your favorite tender steak, or even shrimp.
  • Add pickled green beans or asparagus, cut in thirds.
  • Add thick cut cooked bacon, chunked.





No comments:

Post a Comment