Thursday, April 27, 2017

New Recipes, this week: Jalapeno Fries and Spicy Coconut Chicken soup.

I normally don't deep fry things at home, too messy, time consuming, not good for me and what to do with the leftover grease, painful.  Ignoring all that I gave these a try.   I cut the recipe in half using and only used ⅓ C. flour & cornmeal since I was testing it but if your going through the effort and mess do them all. I cooked them in a small cast iron fry pan and only used about 1/4 inch of oil, enough to go half way up the jalapeño which made it a bit harder but less oil waste even though I had to add more oil as I cooked more. I also used Greek yogurt vs. sour cream since it was what I had on hand. The coating didn't stick very well which made them look a bit messy since they were naked in some spots but also homemade and it didn't effect the taste. They were not too spicy and the dip cooled them off but I think the dip needed more time to sit so that the flavors could meld. I more than likely won't make again only because they were messy and time consuming and it is not something you can do too much ahead. Original recipe came from Valerie Bertinelli's Home Cooking show.


JALAPENO FRIES WITH ROASTED GARLIC RANCH
vegetable oil for frying
10 jalapenos, seeded and cut in strips
Dressing:
1 head garlic, roasted
¼ C. buttermilk
¼ C. mayonnaise
2 T. Greek yogurt
Kosher salt
Coarse black pepper
Plate 1:
½ C. buttermilk
1 egg
Plate 2:
¾ C. flour
¾ C. cornmeal
½ t. paprika
¼ t. Kosher salt


Garlic: Preheat oven to 425°F. Place bulb on a piece of heavy duty foil, enough to wrap around bulb. Cut the top off of the bulb, drizzle with EVOO, salt and pepper, replace top and gather foil around bulb. Bake 35 minutes.
Dressing: Mix buttermilk, mayonnaise, Greek yogurt, salt and pepper. When garlic is done, remove garlic from paper wrapping, mash up with a sprinkle of salt then add to dressing. Refrigerate.
Jalapeños: Add oil to a deep fry pan. Heat oil to 360°F. Seed and cut into strips. Dip in buttermilk then in flour mixture. Add to hot oil, fry till golden brown. Remove to a paper lined plate to drain. Then place on a rack in a 200°F oven to keep warm until you fry them all.




Although I didn't take a picture I will the next time I make it.  This soup is a touch spicy which I loved, brothy but creamier than chicken soup because of the coconut milk.  Even though I doubled the mushrooms it was still more brothy but the bonus was that I made the stock from my rotisserie chicken bones, free be. I got the recipe from the newspapers Parade magazine, Jan 22, 2017. It was quick and since I made it the day before I needed, it made it even easier the next day.


SPICY COCONUT CHICKEN SOUP
1 T. coconut oil
1 onion, finely chopped
8 oz. mushrooms, sliced
1 T. ginger, grated
2 cloves garlic, minced
4 C. (1 qt.) chicken stock
13.5 oz. can light coconut milk
2 T. Bragg's liquid amino
1 T. chile garlic sauce
1 t. sugar
1 C. rotisserie chicken
1 lime, juiced and zested
Garnish: Cilantro

Add oil to large sauce pot or fry pan with high sides. Add onion, sauté 3 minutes, add mushrooms and sauté till browned. Add ginger and garlic, sauté another minute. Add coconut milk, liquid amino (or soy sauce), chile garlic sauce and sugar. Bring to a simmer, cook 20 minutes. Add cooked chicken, heat through, 5 minutes. Stir in zest and juice of lime. Garnish with fresh cilantro and a wedge of lime. Makes 4 servings.




No comments:

Post a Comment