Friday, August 19, 2011

My Latest Obsession, Food Trucks

My latest obsession (in my head) are food trucks.  It all started when they started becoming the talk on TV and once you pay attention to something you start noticing them everywhere.  What use to be the Roach Coach has taken on a whole new life.  The new food trucks appear to have stepped it up 100%.  No longer that dirty, greasy, white truck that blows it's horn at the construction site providing that morning boost after a long night.  They have gone gourmet, focusing on specific foods and/or cuisines.  Since I started to pay attention I have found out about new trucks on various TV shows like 7Live, Cooking Channel (Eat Street) and Food Network to name a few.  Along with food trucks the ice cream cart is also taking on a new vibe.  Food Networks, Sweet Treats show, featured Schulzies Bread Pudding cart, 1827 Ocean Front Walk, Venice, CA (510) 783-3464.  A pudding cart, I must try.

The show I haven't gotten into yet is the Great Food Truck Race.  On the surface it seems silly, I don't think I care about the challenges, I just want to know who are the trucks, what they serve and how it tastes.  But now that I just put this in writing I realize that this is another place I can find out about more food trucks so before I criticize anymore I will set my TiVo to record a few episodes.

So far I am following the following trucks on Twitter and I have plans to visit them all including one's not on the list at some point.  See you there!

As I try them I'll post my comments on those, click here.

SF Bay Area, CA:
  • Bacon Bacon:  @BaconBaconSF
  • Banh Mai:  @banhmai
  • Casey's Pizza:  @CaseysPizza
  • Chairman Bao: @chairmantruck, Steamed Buns
  • CurryUpNow:  @CurryUpNow:  Indian Street Food
  • Del Popolio, Pizza Truck
  • Grill Stars:  @Grillstars
  • Grillaz Gone Wild:  R3  Split the Flying Pig which had chicken, ham, bacon, cheese, pineapple with a sweet sauce.  It reminded me of the Maui Zaui pizza from Round Table which I like better.  Wouldn't order again, have passed it up since but may try again.
  • Hapa:  @HapaSF, Filipino taco truck with lumpia, pancit, adobo, and sisig
  • House of Siam:  @hosonwheels Thai food. R5   I tried the Roti Bouquet:  Grilled Roti (thicker flour tortilla) spread with Siam peanut sauce garnished with fresh green leaf cucumber, pickled carrot, red onion, cilantro.
  • IZ IT:  @IZITfreshgrill, Hawaiian food
  • Left Coast Smoke:  @LeftCoastSmoke
  • LIBA Falafel:  @LIBAfalafel, Falafel Sandwiches and bowls
  • Little Green Cyclo:  @lilgreencyclo, Vietnamese
  • Lumpia Cart:  @LumpiaCart
  • Mr. Arroz Caldo:  @MrArrozCaldo
  • Mission Pie:  @MissionPie
  • Nopa:  @nopasf
  • Nosh This:  @NoshThis
  • Roli Roti:  @roliroti, Rotisserie chicken, try pork tenderloin sandwich.  Potatoes were OK.
  • Sam's ChowderMobile:  @chowdermobile - nice if not in Half Moon Bay.
  • Sanguchon:  @Sanguchon_SF, Peruvian food.  Tried the Barbacoa pulled pork and slaw wrap.  The best thing was the potato chips in the wrap.
  • Soup Dup:  @SoupDup
  • Southern Sandwich Co:  @SouthrnSandwich
  • Spencer on the Go: @chezspencergo, French cuisine
  • The Creme Brulee Man:  @cremebruleecart
  • The Fatted Calf: @FattedCalf
  • The MeltR3  Told the most popular grilled cheese was the classic.  Really, the classic (cheddar on white bread).  SO, it was OK, but VERY BASIC.  There was a salty seasoning sprinkled on the bread which I could have done without but it wasn't anything special.  I wouldn't order it again but if I saw the bus and there wasn't a new truck to try I would give the mac and cheese a chance.
  • Toasty Melts:  @Toastymelts
  • Waffle Mania:  @wafflemaniaSF
  • WOW Truck:  @TheWOWTruck
  • WYD Bacon Potato Chips:  @BaconPotatoChip, Handmade Bacon Potato Chips!
 
San Jose, CA:
 
Monterey/Carmel, CA:
 
LA, CA:
NY City, NY
North Carolina:
  • Cupcake Delirium:  The elvis a banana cupcake with peanut butter frosting and brown sugar
  • Outdoor Feasts:  All thing spork, Boudin French sausage and rice with pork, bell peppers and onion.candy bacon.
  • Roots:  Braised pork tacos in crisp flour tortilla w/cilantro and spicy salsa.  Twitter:  @rootsfarmfood.
  • Napolitanos:  Caprese sandwich.  Twitter:  @NapolitanosMkt
  • Roaming Fork:  Blackened fish taco with roasted corn salsa.  Twitter:  @roamingforknc
  • Harvest Moon Grille:  Carnitas.
  • Southern Cake Queen:  Strawberry cupcake with hot pink vanilla butter cream icing.  Twitter:  @southerncake
  • Holy Matrimony Wingzza:  Buffalo wings.  Twitter @WingzzaTruck
Columbia, SC:
  • 2 Fat 2 Fly:  Stuffed chicken wing food truck, a must try.

No comments:

Post a Comment