Friday, September 30, 2011

SF Tours done by City Guides

I love City Guides tours.  We try and go on one a month when the weather is nice.  When I moved back to CA my goal was to get to know SF like we grew to know and love Boston.  Since I lived here all my life I felt I knew the city but I really only knew the touristy spots.  I didn't have my own favorite haunts, those hidden treasures, a favorite restaurant.  So to embark on this adventure of learning more about my city, we started doing City Guide Tours.  Some are better than others but it depends on your interests, the amount of walking you like to do and the guide you get.  Overall my impression is very positive and I thank all of those who volunteer their time to show off this diverse city.
We have done the following tours and I can't wait to do more.  It will be a sad day when we complete them all.  I can only hope that they keep developing more.  I have rated them (R1-5) based on my interests but I think the rating depends on what you are looking for, what you like and do you connect with your guide.  For example I love to walk, I love learning about hidden treasures, architecture and places I can return to for a tasty bite or a relaxing drink.
  • Palace Hotel  (R4)
  • Landmark Victorians of Alamo Square (Painted Ladies)  (R5)  Great picture opportunity for someone who likes architecture and Victorian homes.
  • Coit Tower  (R4)
  • Telegraph Hill, Stairway hike (R4)
  • Haight Ashbury  (R4.5)  Love the off beat quality of this tour.
  • Russian Hill  (R4)  Great picture opportunities.
  • North Beach Food Tour by Linda Cahill (R5)  We did this tour twice, the first one was a bust but Linda hit it out of the park.  Linda's tour was a 5, the first one (by someone else) was a 1.
  • SOMA & Yerba Buena Gardens
  • Mission Bay - Hidden waters  (R4)  Wear comfy shoes, lots of walking, see things you wouldn't know about if you didn't take this tour.  Hear about how the area has changed and see all the construction in progress.  The tour guide made this tour.  Not too many exciting picture opportunities. 
  • Ferry Building  (R3)  Would like more specifics on the shops and the food, what are the must trys.
  • Mission Murals  (R5)  Beautiful painted murals and an informative guide
  • Mission Dolores (R4)  A bit of everything, murals, victorians, local restaurants & bars, Mission Dolores, history.
  • China Town (R3).  It was interesting but wanted to learn what are the great spots to eat. 
  • Sutro Heights (R3)  Quite a hike so make sure you feel great and it is not too hot.
  • Castro:  Tales of the Village:  It was a great way to check out an area.  It was more diverse than I expected.  Not an area I would probably go back to because it was more of a community but didn't spend enough time to get to know the restaurants and bars plus I don't want to take the chance on seeing the naked man or sit where he sat ;)
  • Bawdy and Naughty (R3)  This tour was historically informative stretching 2 blocks from Montgomery to Union Square but since the red light district no longer exists there wasn't a lot to actually see.   I did wish I had my camera for the shop full of antique sewing machines on Maiden Lane.  It was also pouring rain which didn't help.
  • Making Waves on the Waterfront
  • Palace of Fine Arts (R3)
  • Fort Mason to Aquatic Park
  • Coit Tower Murals (R4)  If coming from Bart and walking along the wharfs be prepared that even though it seems like a short walk once you get to the stairs, it is straight up and lots of them.  Once at Coit Tower there isn't any more walking but you learn a lot the murals and get to go to the second floor which is not open to the public.
  • Pacific Heights Mansions (R4)  I enjoy taking photos of architecture so I loved this tour.  We saw lots of homes owned by famous people past or present, heard about the history of Pac Heights and had some great views of the bay, a peak at the GG bridge, Danielle Steels home, Goldies old home.  We drove to avoid taking a bus and for 15 minutes it was a bad idea, then we found a parking spot - free all day.  It was against the park, easy walk especially if parked on north side of park, no stairs to meeting place.  Easy tour, flat or down hill.
  • City Scapes and Public places (R4):  What is nice about this tour is that you would never know about all the outdoor public garden spaces that are in or on top of various buildings in the Financial district
Special Tours:  (only offered certain times of the year like October)
  • SF's Grand Old Clubs (R3.5).  We were able to go into one women's club so that was cool but the group was the largest I've seen maybe 70 people so it was hard to hear it all.
Tours To Try Next:
  • Golden Gate Park, West

No comments:

Post a Comment