Monday, June 24, 2013

Master List for Napa Valley Wineries

I decided to put together a list of all the wineries I can remember that we have tried and make some notes and their pluses and minuses.  As I learn more I'll make more notes and as I go back to places their ranking may change.  They can move because of some of the reasons I listed above or over time it can be that my tastes change and like now I like a bolder red, not crazy about oaky or buttery whites and love a good port but not quite sure if there are characteristics that I can point out that I like better than another. 

I have also linked back to the specific trips I've taken.  I will break this list up into Silverado Trail and Highway 29 so they appear in order as you head North.  One thing about visiting wineries is your experience not only relies on a great wine but also the atmosphere, the server and who you are with.  Sometimes what you thought was a great wine at the time when you try it later at home you are not as blown away.  That's because the day was better than the wine.

Here is a wine map to help you see what else is out there, click here.

We end up at Rutherford Grill for lunch quite often and this is a good point to cross over to the other side.  Here are also links to some specific trips: Trip 1, Trip 2

SILVERADO TRAIL:
  • Del Dotto: (R?)  8/22/2010:  Beautiful candle lite caves but a bit out of the way.  Tasting $20, cave tour barrel tasting $40.  We didn't purchase any wine here but I liked the 2005 Caves Merlot at $39, hubby liked the 2007 Napa Valley Sangiovese at $49.
  • Reynolds: (R?)  8/22/2010:  Nice server who gave us other suggestions, close grape vines for pictures and a lovely pond. Tasting $20.  Purchased the 2006 Cabernet Sauvignon Napa Valley Estate Select.   Reynolds Family Winery Cabernet Sauvignon Napa Valley Estate Select 2006
  • Black Stallion (R4) 8/22/2010:  Their wines were good but not quite our taste so we didn't buy.  We like bold reds and even their cabs were a bit mellow.  The Merlot or the Sarah were the two we liked the best but not enough to buy.  Their wines on this day ran between $35-$50.  The tasting was a two for one, for $10 (love a coupon, go on line and print the coupon before you go). 6/24/2013:  Did a second trip to Black Stallion, the wines were much better or my tastes have grown but we liked all but the one Merlot (first one served in the flight we purchased for $25).  The wines however are more pricy, averaging $75 with one as high as $175 and of course that was the best.  We bought no wines this day enjoyed the second server.  We had a 241 coupon which made it doable but painful since you had to check in.
  • Clos du Bois 1/4/2012:  Purchased Merlot 2006, it was good but also older and made the cross country trip so maybe it was better before.  Give another try.
  • Chimney Rock(R4) 8/22/2010:  Beautiful garden & view of the vine lined hills.  Tasting $20.  Did not purchase any wine.   6/24/2013:  Made a second visit and the server was quite nice and informative.  We did the Terlato Family Vineyards Owner’s Selection tasting at $25 but they were not skimpy.  I still find this too much for a taste so if you are from the area and there are four of you it is less to buy a bottle and taste it on your own outside.  Especially if you know what is good or can get them to suggest one or provide you one taste first.  They where bold reds like I like
  • RegusciNeed to revisit (R?)  Don't know when I went but I came home with Regusci Stags Leap District Merlot 2001
  • Robert SinskeyNeed to revisit (R?)  I purchased  Los Carneros Merlot 2003
  • Silverado Vineyards(R4) 8/22/2010:  Beautiful view over valley on Silverado trail, sit outside, relax and enjoy your wine.  Server gave us lots of suggestions for future trips.  Owned by a Disney relation but no memorabilia.  Tasting $15-75 depending on flight (we did the $15).  Check on line for a 2-4-1 coupon.  Good white, OK reds, did not purchase any wine. 
  • Pine Ridge(R?) 8/22/2010:  Tour sounded great.  Tasting $15 or 25 (we did the $15).  Purchased the 2007 Charmstone Table Red.  Pine Ridge Vineyards Charmstone Red Table 2007
  • Cliff Lede (R3) 6/23/2013: Did a tasting here, didn't buy anything, server was OK but a bit scattered.  Experience not the best of the day.
  • William Harrison Vineyards:  Need to revisit.  I purchased Cabernet Franc2005
  • BV: (R3)  Need to revisit to see what I think of the winery.  I purchased Ensemble Red Table 1999
  • Conn Creek Winery:  (R?) Need to revisit.  I purchased the Cabernet
  • Mumm: (R4)  Great place to sit outside and do a tasting.  There is also a little shop.
  • Rutherford Hill(R5) 8/22/2010:  The Merlot use to be my favorite, this trip purchased the Petite Sarah.  Good reds, great port and loved those chocolate covered blueberries.  Great view over Silverado Trail.  Tasting Fee:  $20, look online for a 2-4-1 coupon .  Purchased RH Winemakers Blend 2000.  Rutherford Hill Vintage Zinfandel Port 2000
  • Raymond: (R?)  Purchased the Reserve Merlot 2002
HIGHWAY 29
  • Domaine Chandon:  (R5) One of my favorite places.  I don't do tasting here anymore because I know what I like and I would prefer to order a glass of champagne and go sit outside on the gorgeous patio.  It is the perfect way to start your wine tasting experience in Napa Valley.
  • Sequoia Grove(R?) Allen Family Shiraz 2000 just OK (R3)
  • St. Supery Atkins House Red Cabernet Sauvignon 1997
  • Peju(R5) Great stop and if your lucky you will get to listen to the yolder/rapper.  Beautiful grounds with art sculptures.  Have purchased there Peju Estate Bottled Cabernet Franc 2002 Peju Province, Estate Bottled Cabernet Sauvignon 2003 (on 5/2012 didn't find one I wanted to purchase, they were very mild reds for my taste on this day)  Peju Provence Red Table 2006
  • Alpha Omega(R5)  We liked the winery so much we joined the club.  Nice tasting room with outdoor seating by the pond.  Alpha Omega Rose 2007  Alpha Omega Cabernet Sauvignon 2004 Alpha Omega Proprietary Red 2005
  • Provenance Sauvignon Blanc 2006
  • Whitehall Lane(R?) This use to be a favorite place many years ago.  I haven't been in over 15 years so I'll have to give it a try to see if I like the wine or not.   I purchased Merlot 2004
  • VSattui (R5) is one of my favorite places.  Do a tasting or purchase a bottle and ask them to open it.  I like Gamay Rouge, a cold red.  It is very refreshing and good on a hot summer day.  I love their cheese shop and you can do a tasting here also, the Keifer is the best and deli so if your not prepared you can get what you need for a picnic on site.  Their tastings are either $5 or $10 for the premium taste.  You can only purchase their wines at the winery .  I've also tried t here V Sattui Petite Sirah North CA 2008  V Sattui Preston Vineyard Cabernet Sauvignon 2004
  • Sutter Home(R3) Cheap wine nice shop.  I've purchased their White Cabernet 2006
  • Mount Veeder (R?)Winery Cabernet Sauvignon 2000
  • Rosemount Estate (R?) Cabernet Sauvignon 1998
  • Benessere Vineyards(R?) Off highway 29.  Pinot Grigio Napa Valley, Carneros 2007 (Mixed notes:  We drank this 8/22/2011, it was a wonderful, light, slightly fruity white wine.  I really liked it especially since I don't normally like white wines but I had it as a R1 which doesn't match)
  • Castello di Amorosa (R5) A must see castle even if you don't do the tour or the tasting, beautiful grounds.  Tasting is $18.  Castello di Amorosa Almond Sparkling  Castello di Amorosa Con Amore Tawny Port
  • Sterling Vineyard(R5) Although I did purchase Cabernet Sauvignon 2003.  I haven't been thrilled with their wines but it is a nice tram ride up to the top of the hill and a self guided tour.  Wines get a (R3).


SONOMA TASTING:  Click here for Trip 1
  • Ravens Wood Cabernet Sauvignon 2000  & Ravens Wood Amador County Zin 1999
  • Sebastiani Cabernet Sauvignon 2000
  • BR Cohn Pinot Noir 2005 , BR Cohn Doobie Red North Coast Red Table 2004 Carta di Imbarro Carta diImbarro Zin 2005

Here are some wineries I've been to and purchased a bottle of wine.  Some I am still waiting to drink and review, click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment