Sunday, September 19, 2010

Emergency Kits

Everyone should be prepared in case of an emergency. I've gotten as far as gathering the lists but no further. The thing that stops me is the fact that some things need to be replaced yearly like food and water and I know that I won't do it. I'll be eating 10 year old food but I guess at least I'll have food. Maybe I need to take my own advice and get busy creating my own kits.

UPDATE:  I purchased a plastic garbage can and have begun filling it.  I have gotten about 80% of the things on the list but I need to complete it so I can consider this project done.  A bad habbit of mine is procrastination.  Something I need to work on.  I also found this website, Be Prepared, that has emergency products you can purchase.   Maybe this will help me complete my list.
I do have a list of the personal items that I would like to take in case I had to evacuate. This is something everyone can do. List the item and where it's located in your home so your not scrambling to find it. It also keys you in to what's really important in your home. Here are some of the things that are on my list and should be on yours.
  • Important paper file: You should have your most important papers in a portable file so you can grab and go. It should be things like your insurance papers, mortgage papers, birth certificates, social secuity cards, marriage license, divorce papers (if applicable), Concent to treat form along with a Medical history form.  These forms can be downloaded at Emergency Care for You
  • Jewelry
  • Pictures
  • A few keepsakes you can't replace. I have my Great Grandma's quilt on the list
 Know where these are:
  • Location of main gas valve
  • Heating service number
  • Cooling service number
 TRUNK EMERGENCY KIT:
  • Spare tire, Jack
  • Change of clothes (socks, gloves, hats, long johns – the warmer the better, old pair shoes)
  • Cat Litter – non clumping litter works best
  • Food and Water: a gallon of water and packages of high calorie dried foods, such as energy bars
  • Emergency kit: flashlight, batteries, utility knife, bungee cords, first aid kit, emergency flasher flares, reflective help sign, traction mat
  • Work gloves, paper towels
  • Blanket: Thick wool or one of those shinny plastic space blankets or a trash bag
  • Collapsible Shovel
 NOTE: Stay with your vehicle

BACK PACK KIT (smaller portable kit): Put in home, close to door and one in car
  • Knife
  • Surgical Tape
  • Trash Bag
  • Plastic Gloves
  • Sharpie and pad
  • Zip ties
  • Boot laces
  • Chem lights
  • Medication for 3 days
  • Phone
  • Tennis shoes
  • Flash light
  • Power bars
  • Water
 HOME EMERGENCY KIT (3 days worth of supplies including):
  • Bandages and tape
  • Batteries - extra
  • Blanket and Bedding, one set per family member
  • Bottled water – one gallon per person per day
  • Can opener
  • Carbon monoxide detector
  • Cash
  • Clothing 3 sets
  • Contact information (emergency 4 people)
  • Emergency contact information
  • Food: 10 canned goods (soup, canned fruit and vegetables), non perishables, high protein items, Yummy snacks (pretzels and energy bars)
  • First aid kit
  • Fire extinguisher
  • Flashlight with extra batteries
  • Gloves - canvas
  • Important papers and documents (birth certificates, health, finance and insurance docs)
  • Knife
  • Map of Area
  • Matches in a water proof container
  • Medications
  • Medicine (aspirin, etc.)
  • Money
  • Personal and bathroom stuff(glasses, toothbrush, soap
  • Pet supplies – water, food, medication and leash
  • Photos of family members (label with name, date of birth, date photo was taken, height and weight, medication, address and phone number)
  • Poncho
  • Radio - Battery powered
  • Sanitary supplies
  • Scissors
  • Smoke Alarm
  • Tools (wrench, screwdriver, pliers and a hammer)
  • Whistle (3)
In case you live where there are hurricanes, here's what to do if there is a warning:
  • Bring children and pets indoors and if you do evacuate, always take your pets with you.  Know beforehand which motels will allow pets or make an exception during a natural disaster.
  • Cover outside windows with storm shutters or plywood.  Tape is not enough, duh - but I guess some one tried it or it wouldn't have to be said.
  • Turn off utilities, if appropriate
  • If time permits, secure outdoor items.
  • Stay indoors, away from windows and doors.  Remember a lull in the store could be the eye passing overhead; violent winds may return suddenly from the opposite direction
  • Evacuate immediately if instructed to do so.

No comments:

Post a Comment