Friday, July 13, 2012

Castro Valley Wineries

There are a few wineries in Castro Valley, CA (heading west on 580 vs east).  Here is my rating of the one's I've tried.

Four Star:
Chouinard Winery:  We went there the first time a couple of years ago and found out that they do movies at night during the summer.  You bring a picnic and drink wine.  We never made it to this but we did make it back this year and I still liked it.  Things were moving slow this day as far as service but relax you are wine tasting and in no hurry.  I rated the wines as follows, Geurztraminer 5star for a sweater white wine, Barbera Rose a 4star, Granny Smith Apple 3star, Alicante Bouschet 4star, Old Vine Zin 4star, Cabernet Sauvignon , S.F 3star.  They are reasonably priced topping out at $21.00.

Westover Winery:  This one is close to Chouinard, infact you hit this one first if you are coming from 580.  I didn't go back this year, 2012 but I did go a couple of years ago and if memory serves me they were also a 4star so this is where I will rank them until I go back.  They had a ton of ports to try.

Not a Fan:
  • Elliston Vineyards:  We went there June 2012.  It is also a museum so it is worth a stop by but I did not like any of the wine.  I like a bold red and these were not.  We did purchase a $15 bottle of champagne which wasn't bad but I wouldn't go back to get another.  Been there done that.

No comments:

Post a Comment