Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Fool Proof Baby Back Ribs

I've tried baking, boiling and BBQing and I was never able to get the kind of ribs I have gotten at a couple of restaurants.  I normally don't order ribs out because they must be fall off the bone ribs.  I don't want to gnaw on bones, getting a messy face and hands in a restaurant.  I have ordered ribs from two restaurants, Rutherford Grill in Rutherford - Napa Valley, CA and from Texas Roadhouse (chain in various locations) and they met my expectations.  The ribs I've made in the past were good but just not what I deam as a "Company Dish" or "Restaurant Quality".  This new recipe is definitely that. The first couple of times I made this I used pork shoulder country style ribs, which I called "Ugly Ribs", tasted great but not as pretty.  I heard about this foil technique from Emeril.   I will never use another method to cook ribs again, in fact this week I'm trying the same method with the fatty end of a beef brisket.    Wish me luck!  I'll let you know how it turns out.

UPDATE:  Just to let you know I tried the beef briscuit and it was very good, flaky strings of moist meat.  I sprinkled it liberly with Kosher salt, coarse black pepper, cayenne, coriander seeds:  browned it and then put it in the foil pkg with a brown sugar, yellow mustard glaze.  Very good.


FOOL PROOF RIBS
1 slab pork baby back ribs
-Homemade spice rub
-Homemade BBQ sauce

Preheat oven to 300°F. Line a large baking sheet with a piece of aluminum foil large enough to cover pan twice. Line foil with an equal size piece of parchment paper. Place ribs (meat side up) on parchment. Rub with Spice Rub on both sides. Fold foil and parchment over ribs and seal tightly on all sides. Bake 3 hours. Remove baking sheet from oven. Peel back foil and parchment paper to expose ribs. Baste with BBQ sauce. Return to oven and bake, uncovered, until sauce is thickened and lightly browned, 20-30 minutes. 

Note:  You don’t have to make your own spice rub or BBQ sauce from this book, you can purchase a rub and BBQ sauce from the store but it is so easy to make yourself and one less packaged product.

Below is the spice rub and BBQ sauce I make.  You will use all the BBQ sauce but you will have leftovers of the spice rub which I keep on hand.  My label is as follows however it isn't as hot as the label makes it appear.


SWEET N SPICY BBQ SAUCE
2 T. ketchup
1 t. saracha sauce
1 t. dijoneese
1 t. agave
2 dash Worcestershire sauce

Mix. Spread on meat.
Variations
  • Don’t have agave, use molasses. 
  • Don’t have Dijon use yellow mustard or what you have on hand.

SPICE RUB
¼ C. sweet Hungarian paprika
2 T. ground thyme
2 t. ground onion powder
1 t. garlic powder
1 t. salt
¼ t. cayenne pepper
¼ t. black pepper



Mix. Store in an airtight container till ready to use.







No comments:

Post a Comment