Monday, April 15, 2013

New Vegetable: Diakon Radish

If you have not tried a daikon radish and you like red radishes or even if you think red radishes are a bit strong or peppery then you have to try the daikon.  It tastes like a mild red radish.  I was pleasantly surprised and thought I was pretty silly not to know it would taste like a radish.  For some reason I thought it had to be cooked, it kind of looks like a parsnip, a new veggie I tried last year so maybe this is why I thought you had to roast it. 

Today I tried an Asian inspired vinaigrette to go over my mandolin sliced cucumber, daikon radish and julienned carrot salad.  At first I wasn't sure about the recipe, the fish sauce stood out but as it sat that seemed to mellow so by the time we ate it for dinner it was pretty good.  Recipe came from Ann Burrell.  I served it with a Blackened Spiced Tilapia.

PICKLED CUCUMBER AND DAIKON SALAD
20 baby carrots, julienned
1 cucumber, thinly sliced by a mandolin
1 daikon radish, peeled, sliced in half lengthwise and then sliced on a mandolin
Dressing:
3/4 C. rice vinegar
1/4 C. fish sauce
2 T. brown sugar
1 T. chili garlic sauce (sambal oelek)
1 t. fresh ginger, grated
1 clove garlic, grated
2 scallions, thinly sliced

In a large bowl combine, carrots, cucumber and daikon.  In a small jar with a lid, combine dressing ingredients.  Shake and let sit for 15 minutes at room temperature till sugar is dissolved.  Pour over salad.  Let sit at room temperature for a hour before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment