Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Vegetable Lasagna

Tried a new recipe last Friday.  It has a similar filling to the Ricotta Squash Tart I make only this was layered with noodles instead of sitting in a crust.  One thing you have to know about both of these recipes is that to me they come across a tad sweet.  Not sweet in the since that there is sugar but when you flavor ricotta with lemon it makes it a bit like a dessert.  As I try to put this in writing I'm not sure I'm explaining it well so you may just have to give it a try to see what you think.  I guess the main thing I would say is that it is not savory or rich even though it is a creamy white sauce.  Then with the addition of the nutmeg which I am only a fan of in pumpkin pies it gives it that "hum" thought bubble over your head that people talk about indicating what's that.  I do like the nutmeg here but to me that may be why I think it is more dessert like.

The recipe came from Michael Simon of The Chew.  I didn't change much except that I used the Barilla Oven Ready Lasagne sheets that don't require you to boil them first.  My 9x13 pan has curved sides so I didn't use the entire box but depending on your pan you might.  Just cover the bottom and if there are spaces you can break up the noodle and fill in the bare spots but don't be to crazy about covering it all, bare spots won't hurt .  It is also OK if they overlap slightly.  It made it easier of course, one less step but since I covered it with foil to bake it the top didn't brown even though I removed the foil during the last 10 minutes or so.  This didn't effect the taste only the appearance.  Next time I'll try possibly not covering it with foil to see if the noodles cook or uncovering it sooner to try and brown it or possibly a short broil.

The one thing I learned from Michael is that you need to cook the Béchamel for at least 40 minutes to cook off the flour.  I had always believed that when you cook the flour in the melted butter for 2-4 minutes that is what cooks off the flour taste and so when you add the milk you are only cooking to thicken the sauce.  I need to research this a bit more every cook may have a different opinion.  Either way the sauce turned out great, thick and creamy. In the first picture you can see the slight bubble that you are looking for while it cooks.  Keep an eye on it and stir it every few minutes so it doesn't stick.  The thicker it becomes the more likely it is to stick.


Here you see the final version with the ricotta added.  The sauce is thick and rich


Initially I thought it need more vegetables but more may be too much.  I think the two layers is fine just as long as your eggplant and squash is big enough to make a complete layer.  Since the yellow squash is curvy cutting it into long strips is a bit more difficult.  You can see from the grilling picture how slicing the yellow squash has skin in the middle because of it's curve.  The next time I will try cutting it into long ovals by cutting the squash in two sections and then slicing the sections in slices.  This would avoid having some that are thicker than others.  Maybe the additional layer of pasta is what I need to remove also.

Last thoughts, if you are making for 2 you will want to reduce the recipe unless you want to eat it for several days.  I don't mind having leftovers for another day but by day 4 I am totally over it.


VEGETARIAN LASAGNA
Béchamel Sauce:
4 T. unsalted butter
¼ C. flour
3 C. milk, heated
¾ t. freshly grated nutmeg
3 C. whole milk ricotta cheese
1 lemon, zested
2 zucchini
1 eggplant
1 box of noodles



Melt butter over medium heat. Add flour, stirring to form a paste, like wet sand. Cook for 1-2 minutes. Slowly add milk a third at a time, while whisking to avoid lumps. Add salt and pepper to taste. Bring mixture to a gentle boil, stirring occasionally, reduce heat to medium low, maintaining a slow bubble. When it coats the back of the spoon its done, can take up to 40 minutes.  

Slice lengthwise zucchini and eggplant or other summer squash, in half and then into large oval slices, sprinkle with salt. Let sit for 20 minutes to pull out some of the water. Grill 3 minutes per side to create grill marks.

LAYER:
Béchamel sauce, thin layer
Pasta 4-5 sheets, over lapping them slightly
Parmesan
Eggplant.
Béchamel, ⅓
Pasta
Parmesan
Zucchini and Yellow Squash
Béchamel, ⅓
Pasta
Béchamel, remaining ⅓
Parmesan



No comments:

Post a Comment