Thursday, December 20, 2018

Halloween Party 2018

I've been away from my blog ever since I got a new computer and life got a bit stressful and now it is time to get back to doing things I like.  So here is my, better late than never, Halloween Party Post.  As always there are winners and losers when it comes to new recipes I try at parties.

This years menu consisted of the following:

  • Caramelized Onion Dip with Ruffles
  • Stuffed Mushroom Dip (last years winner) with baguette slices
  • Jalapeno Popper Dip
  • Beef Meatballs
  • Chicken Zucchini Meatballs (loser- ended up being called Hot Mess)
  • Mac & Cheese Bites
  • Spinach Stuffing Balls (new favorite, recipe below)
  • Winnies and Apples (old favorite)
  • Pumpkin Roll (turned into balls)
  • Red Sangria
  • Pineapple June Bug punch with homemade Pineapple infused rum
  • Test Tube Shots (Skittle Vodka, Tiramisu Vodka and Caramel Rumchata)
  • Green Apple Jolly Rancher Jello Shots
  • Smores Petri Dish Frozen Tipsy Pudding
  • Pistachio Pudding Fluff in Petri Dishes


Guest Appearances:

  • Themed Deviled Eggs
  • Sweet Potato Pie
  • Monster Smiles
  • Cupcakes



I love an onion dip and my Caramelized Onion dip makes a regular appearance.  I like to have a cold dip that can be on the table as guests arrive.   The Stuffed Mushroom was last years winner and the Stuffed Jalapeno Popper dip was also a repeat but this time I thought it was a little too stiff.  I cut the recipe in half but forgot to cut the cheese in half, oops.  It was also pretty spicy with the 3 large seeded and deveined jalapenos but jalapenos are always a loose canon.  You never know how hot they are going to be until you eat them even when the seeds and veins are removed.

The Beef Meatballs were my standard meatball in red sauce recipe.  I was going to add them to a red sauce with the frozen Chicken Zucchini meatballs but the chicken meatballs disintegrated and what I had was a Hot Mess that people thought was chili so I went with it.  Didn't taste bad and I used it mixed with pasta later in the week but I won't try this method again for these balls.  It has worked for the denser beef meatballs but not for these.  Epic Fail.

I make the winnies and apples for a lot of parties and although I had a lot left over they are usually a party pleaser and keep warm in the crock pot.  Unfortunately I am growing ever increasingly less fond of a crock pot.  They don't keep things warm really, the're hot, but they just continue to boil and over cook. Sigh.  Looking at a toaster oven / air fryer now.  Different cooking toy but not a crock pot replacement.

This years winner for me was the Spinach Stuffing Balls.  So much so that I made them again for Thanksgiving.  People liked the Mac & Cheese bites too but I prefer creamy mac & cheese vs. baked, tighter mac.  Below is the Spinach Ball recipe.

The Pumpkin Roll Balls was the cake I made for the pumpkin roll but with only 1/2 C. nuts, cooled, broken up and mixed into the cream cheese filling.  I then chopped up the remaining nuts and added more to roll the balls in and serve sprinkled with powdered sugar.  A great way to make a pumpkin roll go a long way and easy to serve for a party.  The other dessert was  Pistachio Pudding Fluff served in petri dishes.  This is normally one of my aunts Thanksgiving jello salads.  Serving it in individual servings was perfect for a party.

For drinks I had test tube shots (Caramel Rumchata, Skittle Infused Vodka or Tiramisu Vodka in order of greatness), a Red Sangria with OJ, Apples, Orange and Cinnamon, Pineapple June Bug punch with Pineapple infused Rum , Smores Pudding petri dishes and Green Apple Jolly Rancher Jello Shots.  It all disappeared except for one frozen Smores shot I found hiding in the freezer.  That was a happy accident.


SPINACH STUFFING BALLS
2 (10 oz.) packages frozen spinach, thawed & squeezed dry
1 onion, finely food processed
1-2 (6 oz.) box Stove Top Cornbread stuffing
6 eggs, beaten
1/2 C. melted butter
1/2 C. Parmesan cheese
2 t. garlic salt
1 t. black pepper

Add onion to a food processor and finely chop.  In a large bowl, mix all ingredients.  Scoop into bite size balls; place on a baking sheet lined with parchment or sprayed with cooking spray.  Balls can stick to foil.   Freeze or bake at 350F for 20 minutes. Makes approximately 30 balls. 

Note:  You will know they are done when they are no longer mushy to the touch.

Do Ahead:  Spinach balls may be frozen, either baked or unbaked.  I do unbaked.  For pre-baked balls, remove from freezer about 30 minutes prior to reheating. Reheat in a 350F for 10 minutes.

Here is a pix of the Pistachio Pudding Fluff petri dishes.  




No comments:

Post a Comment