Thursday, February 29, 2024

New Recipe: Buffalo Mini Meatloafs

 I don’t like to keep blue cheese in the fridge long because I never know when it molds more so I made another trip to the store.  Unfortunately I didn’t know I was also out of carrots and celery so I improvised with the ingredients and the amounts when I cut the recipe in half .  This was the best new meatloaf recipe I’ve tried in awhile.  It was moist, a touch of sweet from the improvised caramelized onions and the honey that should have been in the topping with medium heat from my homemade hot sauce in the topping.  I’m not a big fan of blue cheese except as a dipper for wings but inside this meatloaf it was the best.  I’ll try it again but it will be hard to try the original recipe since my version was oh so good.  Be sure to sprinkle loaf with some blue cheese crumbles.  I forgot before taking pix.

1 lb. ground turkey or chicken
1 egg, beaten
1/2 C. panko bread crumbs
3/4 C. blue cheese, crumbled
1/2 C. caramelized onions, chopped
1 T. Franks hot sauce
1 T. ketchup
1/4 t. ground black pepper
1/8 t. cayenne pepper
1 T. honey

Topping:
1 T. ketchup
1 T. hot sauce
1 t. Sriracha

Line a cookie sheet with foil.  Beat egg, add turkey, panko, blue cheese, hot sauce, ketchup, peppers and honey.  Mix.  Shape into 6 small loafs, place on sheet pan.  Mix topping ingredients.  Brush tops of loafs with sauce.  Preheat oven to 350F.  Bake 25 minutes, till 165F internally.  Turn on broiler, move meatloafs to top shelf and broil another 3 minutes to brown.  Serve with a sprinkle of blue cheese.

Variation:  Saute 1 1/2 stalks celery, 1 1/2 shallots, 1 scallion, 1/2 lg. carrot, cool and add to meatloaf.

No comments:

Post a Comment