Wednesday, July 22, 2015

Back to my Routine or at least a Semi Routine

Monday started me back to more of my regular routine and I'm loving it.  Having hubby home with me definitely disrupts what I normally do and although it shouldn't have a huge impact it does give me a sense of what his retirement will be and I need to make sure I continue to do my thing.
So on Sunday I planned out weekly meals and on Monday I went grocery shopping, cleaned the fridge, did the food prep and tried a couple new recipes along with some older ones that I had not taken a picture of or made in a long time and this is the results.

I am swayed by the name of a recipe which is why my recipe names are pretty simple and straight forward so when I saw "Tomato Pie" on The Chew using canned tomatoes I had to give it a try.  I make a good tomato pie with fresh tomatoes so I figured this could be one I make all year round and having a good pantry meal makes for an easy dinner when you don't have fresh veggies in the house.
Unfortunately this recipe didn't live up to it's name which is why I've now changed the name to Pizza Stuffing.  It reminded me of another recipe I got from my sister in law in PA last year or so which I also considered a side dish vs a main.  It was Zucchini Stuffing.
The flavors tasted like the red sauce on a  pizza which is where my name came from.  I reduced the mayo and cheddar because it just seemed like too much, too many calories, and added in all of the cornbread mix so I wouldn’t have to toss out that half cup.   I think it a decent side dish but not a good Meatless Monday main dish unless you served it along with a salad or something more. Original recipe came from an audience member on The Chew.
PIZZA STUFFING
2 (14.5 oz.) cans diced tomato
1 box Stove top cornbread stuffing mix, reserve ¼ C.
¼ red onion (½ C.), diced
1 t. dried basil
Topping:
¼ C. reserved stuffing mix
1 C. cheddar cheese, grated
½ C. lite mayonnaise
¼ t. dried basil

In a large bowl, mix tomatoes, stuffing mix (reserving ¼ C. for topping) and diced red onion.  Mix.  Place in lightly greased 8x8” pan.  Mix topping ingredients.  Dollop on top of tomato mixture, bake 25 minutes, smear dollops to coat entire top, bake another 15 minutes till top is golden.

For lunch this day I made a simple Mediterranean Salad with lots of goobers but no lettuce (cucumbers, roma tomatoes, feta, kalamata olives, green onions, basil and a vinaigrette.



No comments:

Post a Comment