Friday, August 20, 2010

Grilled Cheesy Fajita Subs

Last night I was looking for a quick and easy meal and since it was Thursday night (refrigerator clean out day) I needed to get rid of the leftover rotissery chicken and this is what I came up with.  It was delish. 

We did the Dr. Phil food plan a couple of months ago and a few good habbits have stuck with us.  Both times we have went on it something sticks.  If we can go on it a few more times maybe we will keep getting better.  One of the habits that stuck this time was having a salad with a protein like shredded chicken for lunch.  Since I can get a rotissery chicken at Costco for the price of a raw chicken ($4.99) it doesn't make sence cooking it myself like I was doing before.  Now I buy a chicken on Monday, debone and shred the meat and put it in the refrigerator for the upcoming week.  It works out perfect and now that I have this recipe if I have leftover meat I can use it up.  I also can't wait to try other things in this foil package.

GRILLED CHEESY FAJITA SUBS

Drizzle of EVOO
1 onion, sliced thin
1 red bell pepper (30 slices from mini bells), sliced thin
4 cloves of roasted garlic
1 rotisserie chicken, shredded (4 C.)
1-2 C. Monterey Jack cheese
½ t. coarse ground pepper
¼ t. salt
4 buns, grilled

Layer on a sheet of heavy duty foil in the order listed above. Take another sheet of foil and fold it together with the bottom sheet. To do this lay the top piece directly on top of the bottom piece, over the fillings. On one side, grab both sheets and fold them together a couple of times. Do this on all sides. Add a second layer both on top and bottom and fold them together also so when you turn the package it doesn’t leak. Grill on 250˚F for 6 minutes. Flip and grill another 6 minutes. Serve on buns.

Note: I liked the coarse ground black pepper here. It wasn’t as strong or overpowering as I think the fine ground would have been but it gave it a great flavor. I had leftover roasted garlic in the fridge but if you don’t you can use minced garlic.
Variations for filling:
  • Pizza fixings
  • Taco fixings
  • Beef and cheddar

No comments:

Post a Comment