Thursday, February 9, 2012

New Recipe: Almost perfected, Sourdough Bread

Last year, August 2011, I took two classes on making bread.  It was given by SourFlour in the Mission in SF.  Since then I have made many loafs, all tasted great but some looked better and some were easier to work with than others.  I have also saved money but probably eaten more bread than I use to.  I currently have two starters in the fridge, which is good since at one point I had more than six. I take them out once a week, feed and make a loaf of bread with each.  I'm trying to keep practicing so I can say I have mastered the making sour dough bread.  I think I'm close but sometimes my dough seems too wet.  Since I am trying to eat better I will start giving loafs away so I can keep practicing but not add on the weight.
The name of my bread is 'Sour Sam'.  The starter I received during the class was called, 'Dulce' from Costa Rica.

SOUR SAM
FEED Marble Size Starter in the Evening:
  1. Marble size piece of starter dough (marble separated from dough ball in the morning) and left in the small container. With the rest of the dough you can make a loaf of bread or toss out. Place this golf ball size piece of dough in a large bowl. It will be
  2. Add 2 T. water, mix with finger
  3. Add 4 T. flour, mix until it starts to grab around your finger.
  4. Take dough out of container and kneed back and forth in hands like play dough until the flour and water is incorporated and it’s not too sticky.
  5. Place back in container and put lid on.
  6. Let rest till next morning or place back in refrigerator until ready to bake bread.
  7. In the morning, you will separate the dough into a marble size piece and a golf ball size piece. Leave the marble in the container with the lid on. With the remaining dough (golf ball size piece) you will either make bread, toss in the garbage or make up to 3 additional starters. Then the process begins again, starting with step 2. To learn about your starter, watch it, taste it, feel it.
Note: A starter is actively fermenting dough made with flour and water. To keep it alive and growing you feed it flour and water. Time temperature, hydration, feeding, and flour all affect the activity of your starter. Sour Flour recommended we feed it once a day, at night so you can bake bread in the morning. You can also put it in the refrigerator which will slow the process and allow you to feed it on a weekly basis. Freezing the starter is also an option.

FREEZE Starter: You want to freeze it about 6-12 hours after the last feeding, which on the schedule above would be in the morning.
MAKE BREAD: Incorporate and Develop:
  • 1 golf ball size piece of starter
  • 1 C. water
  • 2-2.5 C. flour
  • 1 t. salt
Break off a golf ball size piece of starter in the morning, prior to feeding dough. Add to a large bowl. Microwave 2 C. water for 1 minute. It should be room temperature not hot. Add 1 cup water and mix with starter. Add 2 C. flour and salt, mix. If it seems to wet continue to add more flour, up to 1/2 C. Pour dough onto cutting board and begin working the dough with your hands and a scraper to incorporate all the ingredients and begin to develop your dough. As you work with it it will become less sticky, if too sticky to work with after it is all incorporated add a sprinkle of flour. Once you have a dough ball you need to strengthen it so it can hold the gas. You do this by kneading it, folding it over on itself, stretching it and flipping it over and over again. You will work the dough and then let it rest for 15 minutes in between.
Kneed 5 minutes, 15 minute break
Kneed 5 minutes, 15 minute break
Kneed 5 minutes, 15 minute break

Fermentation: Put dough into an oiled bowl and cover. Let rest 3-6 hours.

Shaping: Remove the dough onto a lightly floured work surface. Work with dough to maneuver into the shape you want (stretch into a rectangle, fold both short sides in to a point, turn points under dough to form an oval loaf). Sprinkle linen in basket with a touch of flour. Drop in dough. Cover with a clean cotton towel. Let rest or proof for 2-4 or hours or overnight. During the winter when my kitchen is cooler overnight works best, leaving it to proof for about 10 hours. Your dough will begin to rise. When is has risen to your liking. For me it reached the top of the basket or loaf pan in 4 hours. Preheat oven and pizza stone (if using) to 425˚, sprinkle pizza stone with cornmeal, turn out bread into hand and then place on stone and bake for 30-45 minutes. When done, turn out onto cooling rack. Cool 1 hour before cutting

Note: It is done in 20 minutes but this is a light soft crumb. I like a darker thicker crumb so I usually bake it for at least 30 minutes7 If dark enough I take out, otherwise I’ll leave it for an additional 15. The class I took recommended 475˚ for 35 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment