Thursday, March 8, 2012

New Recipe: Egg Foo Yung

I have memories of my dad ordering these from the local Chinese restaurant but I don't remember ever trying them.  I also didn't realize till I made this that is was simply egg pancakes.  I thought he was being adventurous by the name "Egg Foo Yung" but now I realize that he was still in his comfort zone.
This was a very tasty, easy recipe, well easy if I would have had a better nonstick pan and maybe a better spatula.  The first batch I made totally fell apart and sticked.  I switched pans and it got better but my flimsy silicon fish spatula still didn't seem right.  I'll be going shopping today to see if I can find a new nonstick pan and then try them again to see if it works better.  You also need patience, don't try and flip them too soon or they will crumble, let them brown and solidify a bit, 2-3 minutes.
I made this as a dinner side dish with my Teriyaki marinated salmon and a roasted brussel sprout, parsnips and arugula salad with a soy vinaigrette dressing.  Going forward I will make it as a savory breakfast or a snack vs a side dish.  This recipe came from Cuisine at Home, April 2012, pg. 38
I use Bragg Liquid Aminos now versus Soy Sauce.  It is better for me but it still has that heavy salt flavor you get from soy sauce.  I don't notice the difference.


EGG FOO YUNG

⅔ C. small curd low fat cottage cheese, mashed
1 C. mung bean sprouts, chopped
¾ C. celery, chopped fine
1 green onion, chopped fine
¼ C. Parmesan
2 T. amino acid or soy sauce
¼ t. black pepper
¼ t. salt
6 eggs, beaten

Add cottage cheese to a medium bowl and mash curds. Chop in small bits, bean sprouts, celery and green onions. Add to bowl. In a separate bowl beat eggs, add along with remaining ingredients to bowl. Mix. Heat skillet or griddle to medium low, spray with oil and add a half ladle (2 T.) of mixture. Cakes should be thin and don’t over crowd pan or it will be hard to flip. As the cakes start to run push them back together. Cook 2-3 minutes per side or until golden brown. Keep warm in a 200˚ F oven until all cakes are done.



NoteUse a good nonstick pan and a thin spatula otherwise they will stick and be hard to flip. Be ready to sacrifice the first batch, they will taste good but may look ugly. Also have patience because if you flip them too soon they will fall apart.

No comments:

Post a Comment