Monday, October 1, 2012

TATER TOTS

This weekend I gave a technique a try by making tater tots in mini muffin cups.  It worked out well the only thing I will do differently next time is let the potatoes thaw a bit, just till the frozen potatoes are plyable and press them slightly into the cup.  When they are frozen they sit loosely in the cups causing them to be crunchy on the outside but not have a soft middle.  I liked it when there was a soft middle and a crispy outer shell.  They were more like frozen tots.    I made these for morning football along with my sausage balls.  The original recipe came from Rachael Ray.  She used sour cream vs. Greek yogurt and apple sauce.  Since I had homemade pear sauce and I always use Greek yogurt vs. sour cream I changed it up a bit.  I forgot the chives but will add them next time.

TATER TOTS
2 C. (16 oz.) pkg. frozen shredded hash brown potatoes
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 egg, beaten
¼ t. Kosher salt
¼ t. coarse pepper
-Cooking spray
Horseradish Sauce:
½ C Greek yogurt
1 T. prepared horseradish
1 T. homemade pear sauce or applesauce
1 T. fresh chives, finely chopped

Place mini muffin tins in oven. Preheat oven to 425°F. Meanwhile , in a medium bowl, toss potatoes with flour, coating evenly. Beat egg and add to potatoes, mix. Season with salt and pepper. Let potatoes defrost/soften a bit before putting in cups. Pull the tins out of the oven and spray with cooking spray. Fill cups with potato mixture, pressing into cups. Spray the tops of the tots with cooking spray. Bake for 10-15 minutes or till golden. Remove from oven, and flip with a fork. Bake for an additional 10 -15 minutes or until brown on top. Serve with ketchup or Horseradish Sauce.

Horseradish Sauce:  In a small bowl, mix Greek yogurt, horseradish, applesauce and chives.



Variation:  Next time I'll try adding crumbled bacon to the tots.


No comments:

Post a Comment