Thursday, October 25, 2012

This weeks new recipe was a Chicken Tortilla Soup.  One thing that has been on my list for awhile was go through the drawers of recipe clippings, too many recipes and too little time.   My original hope was to get rid of some but it is just way too hard.  So with the arrival of Fall I decided to start with the soup drawer and I ended up finding 7 recipes for Chicken Tortilla soup.  What I did was do a spreadsheet (nerdy I know) but it allowed me to compare them easily.  Then what I did was decide from the list of ingredients what I liked, what I wanted to add and when thinking of chicken tortilla soup what I thought it needed.  Then I started cooking and this is what I came up with.  The only changes I'll make next time is to use only one can of diced tomatoes vs. two and to add chopped avocado's on the top along with the cheese and tortillas.  The spice was perfect.  The squash I added was from my garden, a Heirloom Scallop Beginnings squash (pictured here) but since I don't usually see them in the store I'll use zucchini next time.  The zucchini will add a nice touch of green (since I wouldn't peel it) and it just like the heirloom it didn't add any flavor just a touch more nutritional value.  So don't be afraid, add a squash.



CHICKEN TORTILLA SOUP
Spray oil
4 corn tortillas, cut in strips
Sprinkle chili powder
Sprinkle salt
1 T. EVOO
2 chicken boneless skinless chicken thighs, cubed
1 onion, chopped
1-2 squash, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 jalapeno, minced
2 t. chili powder
2 t. cumin
¼ t. Kosher salt
¼ t. coarse black pepper
⅛ t. red pepper flakes
1 qt. chicken stock
2 T. fresh lime juice
1 (14.5 oz.) can fire roasted diced tomatoes
1 (4 oz.) can fire roasted diced green chilies, drained
1 C. frozen corn
Handful cilantro (¼ bunch), large stems removed
-Cheddar cheese

Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a cookie sheet with foil. Spray foil with oil. Cut tortillas into strips spread out on cookie sheet, spray slices with oil, sprinkle with chili powder and salt. Bake for 20 minutes, till strips are golden. Set aside.

Cut up chicken in bite size pieces. Heat a large dutch oven till hot, add oil and saute chicken till no longer pink. Remove chicken and add diced onions and squash. Saute till onions are soft. Add minced garlic and jalapeno, saute another minute. Add spices, stir a few times. Add chicken broth, lime juice, tomatoes, green chilies. Simmer for 20 minutes to blend flavors. Add corn, simmer another 10 minutes. Add cilantro, let rest for 5 minutes and serve. Sprinkle serving with a pinch of cheddar, crumbled corn tortillas and a few pieces of avocado.






No comments:

Post a Comment