Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Todays New Recipe: Chimichurri Sauce

My original plan was to grill a couple of steaks and top them with the chimichurri sauce.  I think I tried it once at a restaurant but didn't quite remember the taste.  I knew I liked pesto and it is somewhat similar so I gave it a try.

Unfortunately or maybe fortunately I didn't make it to the store today for the steaks and I had to use up my leftover arugula before it went bad so I made the sauce anyway.  I thought I could use it sometime during the upcoming week.  Since I didn't go to the store I also didn't know what I was doing for dinner and with a fridge full of miscellaneous stuff I decided to make something with what I had on hand.  The best part of it was that I was finally able to use my garden herbs (basil, oregano, sage and rosemary).  Tomorrow I'm off to buy another basil plant at Trader Joes.

We started with a spinach, cucumber, jicama, strawberry, feta and balsamic vinaigrette salad and then I made a sandwich using my chimichurri sauce in place of mayonnaise, topped with rotisserie chicken, sliced tomatoes and fresh mozzarella.  It was EXCELLENT.  Since the chicken and mozzarella are both mild this sauce kicked it up 10 notches. 

CHIMICHURRI SAUCE
1 small shallot, chopped coarse
1 C. arugula leaves
½ C. flat leaf parsley leaves
½ C. basil leaves
a few sprigs oregano, leaves removed
Small handful sage leaves (1 sprig)
1 sprig rosemary, leaves removed
2 cloves garlic, grated
¼ t. coarse black pepper
½ t. Kosher salt
3 T. balsamic vinegar
½ C. EVOO

Chop shallot and add to food processor along with remaining ingredients. Pulse till blended.
 
Note: This sauce was tasty, similar to pesto but what stood out was the oregano and balsamic. Good use of leftover arugula and parsley. Freeze if you don’t plan on using it up in a week.


Serving Suggestion: Serve in place of mayonnaise on a rotisserie chicken, tomato and fresh mozzarella sandwich on honey wheat bread, with a capresse salad or along side a meat like steak or chicken.

Variations: Next time I'll try a different combination eg:  thyme instead of oregano; red onion instead of shallot; sherry vinegar, red wine or white wine vinegar instead of balsamic; add more garlic, red pepper flakes, capers,  and maybe lemon juice.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment