Friday, January 3, 2020

New Recipe: Slow Cooker Butter Chicken w/ Potato & Cauliflower

Updated:   Made this today, 7/13/2020, using 2 pounded flat large chicken breasts.  Check the breasts after 1.5 hours, mine could have been more moist but I let them cook too long.  I also reduced the butter by 1/2 a cube and when making the soup I also reduced the cream by half and lastly pureed it more.  Still a WINNER but remember it is NOT an ALL DAY COOK.

1/2/2020:  I was skeptical about this recipe at first, would it have enough flavor, would the potatoes work in a dry pot, would it be a boiled meal.  The ingredients were simple, mild, home cooked flavors of onions, garlic, thyme, rosemary and butter, comforting and nice.  Nothing overpowering or spicy.  I don’t use a slow cooker like I use to. They are good for stews and roasts but I don’t like a boiled dinner so sometimes they don’t work for me.  This dish started with no liquids.  I had two kinds of thyme in my garden, one being lemon, which worked well with my garden rosemary.  I like when I can use what I grow.  Who knew? I did add a sauteed onion which gave it a touch of sweetness and those creamy buttery Yukon's were perfect.  The dish was simple, comforting and yummy.  Even the original blogger said she didn’t think it was enough spice or flavor but we were both wrong.   I loved this and will make again. I used two large (2 lb. total) bone in breasts so the two of us split one and it was plenty.  Going forward I would use whatever chicken part I have on hand.  I added a small head of cauliflower, cored and cut into florets on top of the chicken and it was perfectly cooked after the 2 final hours.  LOVED IT.  Original recipe came from A Spicy Perspective.

BUTTER CHICKEN W/ POTATOES & CAULIFLOWER
2D 4hr. SC (Makes 2 dinners and it's a 4 hour slow cooker meal, not all day)

2 lb. mini Yukon Gold potatoes
Drizzle oil
2 lb. boneless chicken, breasts, thighs or 2 large bone in breasts
1 cube (1/2 C.) butter, melted
1 onion, sauteed
8 cloves (3 T) garlic, chopped
6 sprigs fresh lemon thyme
3 sprigs fresh rosemary
2 t. Kosher salt 
½ t. coarse ground pepper
1 head cauliflower, core removed, cut into florets

Cut potatoes in half if they are larger than golf balls. Drizzle slow cooker with oil including sides.  Place the potatoes in the slow cooker and sprinkle with salt. Cover and cook on high for 2 hours, or on low for 3-4 hours.  
Chop garlic and onion.  Add onion to saute pan and cook till soft.   Add garlic, saute another 30 seconds.  
To a large glass bowl  add butter.  Melt in microwave 1 minute.  Add onions, garlic, thyme, rosemary, salt, pepper and chicken if you choose to marinate a bit.  If not leave separate.
When potatoes are done (2-4 hours later), add chicken, then butter mixture on top of potatoes.  If butter has hardened no problem, scoop out of bowl into slow cooker. Top with cauliflower florets.  


Cover and cook until the chicken reaches 165F,  1 1/2 - 2 hours on high, 2-4 hours on low (see specific pieces below):
  • Lg Bone in breasts:  High:  2 hr 
  • Boneless breasts, pounded flat:  Low:  2 hrs-check at 1.5 hrs cause I think they overcooked
Note:  Since I melted the butter while the potatoes were cooking I added the sauteed onion and spices to flavor the butter and chicken like a marinade then put it back in the fridge to wait the first 1.5 hours.  The best part about this meal is it is a 2D, Two Different Dinner Meals, full meal first night and Potato Corn Chowder the next.  I also reserved 2 potatoes to put on pizza today so almost 3 meals.

VariationUse what you have: Chicken parts:  2 large (2 lb. total) bone in breasts, 2 lg. pounded flat breasts or boneless skinless thighs; any oil or any potato.  I like the mixed bag of baby potatoes with red, yellow and purple.

Leftovers:  Use everything left in the crock pot to make Chicken Corn Chowder with a few additions.

CHICKEN CORN CHOWDER
Leftover chicken, potatoes, cauliflower & butter sauce after a service for two
1 bay leaf
1/4 t. fresh black pepper
1/4 t. Kosher salt
1 qt. (4 C.) chicken stock

Add potatoes, cauliflower and butter sauce to a large stock pot.  Mash up.  Heat.  Remove bay leaf.  Blend with an emulsion blender to your desired chunkiness.  Add the following, stir, heat and eat.

8 slices bacon, fried crisp (4 crumbled into soup)
3 C. frozen corn to bacon greased pan.  Saute.  Add
1/2 C. heavy cream

Note:  I’ve done it without bacon and although it is still tasty as you may know, everything is better with bacon.

No comments:

Post a Comment