Friday, August 21, 2020

Make Ahead: Breakfast Hand Pies

Although I need to follow the original recipe closer (shown below) and make a few changes these were good, especially the crust and it is worth trying again.  I'll use my second dough in my next quiche!

The original recipe called for a double batch of dough so I doubled the recipe here.  Unfortunately when I did this I believe I forgot to double the bagel spice, salt and water and I forgot the chives, oops.  I don’t know how it came together with half the water but it almost seemed too moist.

I used what I had on hand so I did not make my own bagel spice, I used regular bacon and Mozzarella and Cheddar cheeses.  I froze one pie dough disk because I only had 4 eggs on hand.  Cathy said to make an 11" square out of each disk and cut it into 12 (3.5-4.5" rectangles) but that didn't work for me but you should be able to get 8.  I got 6 rectangles/3 pies plus one mini pie out of one crust with about 1/4 C. filling leftover.   

The pies could have used more filling if it will fit.  I loved the flavorful onion garlic crust, but the filling got lost and was a bit dry because there was more crust than filling.  Next time more filling, don't forget the chives and maybe a possible sauce.  Original recipe came from the local paper, Bay Area News Group from When Pies Fly:  Handmade Pastries by Cathy Barrow. 

BREAKFAST HAND PIE
6 slices thick cut smoked bacon, diced
6 lg. eggs
2 T. cool water
1/4 t. Herbs de Provence
1/2 t. kosher salt
1/4 t. coarse black pepper
1/2 C. Jarlsberg or firm Swiss style cheese
3 T. fresh chives, chopped
2 pie dough disks
1 egg, beaten with 1 T. water

Cook the bacon till crisp in a non stick fry pan, set aside.  Discard all but 1 T. of oil from pan.  In a medium bowl, add eggs, water, herbs, salt and pepper and whisk until foamy and light.  Pour eggs into pan with remaining bacon fat.  Push eggs across the pan, scraping the cooked eggs off the bottom of the pan in large fluffy curds that are slightly moist, no more than 4 minutes.  Don’t let them dry out or brown.  Add eggs to a medium bowl along with crumbled bacon, cheese and chives.  Cool completely.  Line 2 baking sheets with parchment.  Preheat oven to 400F.
Assemble:  Remove one block of dough from the refrigerator.  Roll out dough to about 12x8” square and cut into 6 rectangles, each 4 inch.  Add a packed heaping 1/4 C. filling to half the rectangles. Transfer half to a baking sheet, top with a second rectangle and fork crimp the edges together.  Poke the top of each hand pie with a fork three times.  Mix egg and 1 T. water, beat.  Brush tops with egg wash.  Bake 25-30 minutes or until deeply golden brown.  

Variation:  To save time use fresh Pillsbury Pie Dough and cut into circles.  Top with filling and fold circles in half and seal.

Storage:  Freeze hand pies (baked or unbaked) for up to 3 months.  Reheat in the oven, 350 for 25 minutes wrapped in foil.  I used my convection microwave because it is too hot for the oven to be on.

EVERYTHING SPICE PIE DOUGH
2 2/3 C. flour
2 sticks (16 T.) butter, frozen, cubed
2 T. Everything Bagel Spice Mix or make it
2 T. poppy seeds
2 T. toasted sesame seeds
1 T. dried minced onion
2 t. dried minced garlic
    2 t. coarse fleur de sel or Maldon
1/4 t. Kosher salt
1/2 C. water (I only did 1/4 C & it worked)

In a food processor with a metal blade.  Add the cubed butter, flour and spices.  Pulse 15 times to a coarse pea sized crumble.  Add water and mix until it just starts to combine into a ball. 
Lay a sheet of plastic wrap on table.  Dump out dough, press together and cut in half.  Shape each piece into a 4” disk.  Wrap in plastic wrap, then again in another piece of plastic.  Do this for both pieces of dough.  Refrigerate for 4 hours or over night.  See Breakfast Hand Pie for how to use this dough.

Leftovers:  If you only make half a batch, freeze the second dough for up to 3 months.  Defrost in the refrigerator overnight or make all the pies and freeze what you don’t eat.

Here is the original recipe.  Maybe it will work for you 


No comments:

Post a Comment