Wednesday, August 19, 2020

Meatless Monday on a Tuesday, new recipe: Lentil Ginger Patties w/Cucumber Yogurt sauce

I made these yesterday originally titled “Spicy Lentil Onion Fritters (Piaju)” but since I don’t deep fry at home I added an egg and coated the patties in panko to hold them together.  I fried them in a skillet with a thin layer of oil.  They held together but they started out a bit wet from the egg, which is why I think I can add 1/4 C. more lentils.  I only had one home grown jalapeno so they were not spicy but a store bought one might so even though I want it to be spicier I'll try one jalapeno again.  The ginger is what stood out the most.  For the sauce I used cilantro vs mint to tie the two things together.  Plus I'm not a huge mint fan but you decide.  I will make again! but I'll try the Variation with more spices and maybe some lemon or lime.


LENTIL GINGER PATTIES
3/4 C. dried red lentils try 1 C total
1/4 red onion, minced
2 T. cilantro leaves, chopped
1 jalapeno, finely chopped
2” piece fresh ginger, peeled, grated
1/2 t. Kosher
1/2 t. turmeric
1 egg, beaten
1 C. Panko crumbs
Avocado oil, thin layer

Raita, Indian yogurt sauce:
1/2 cucumber, seeded
1/2 C. Greek yogurt
2 T. cilantro leaves
1/8 Kosher
1/8 coarse black pepper

Bring water to a low boil till hot. Rinse lentils and add to a medium bowl.  Pour hot water over lentils to cover about 2”.  Let sit on counter for 30 minutes then drain.

Seed cucumber, chop.  Mince 4 T. cilantro, set aside half for the sauce.  To a small bowl add cucumber, yogurt, half the cilantro, salt and pepper.  Mix and set aside in refrigerator for flavors to meld.  

Drain lentils and add to food processor.  Puree to form a thick paste.  Transfer to a bowl.  Mince onion and cilantro, add to bowl.  Grate ginger add to same bowl along with salt, turmeric and egg.  Mix.  Add panko to a plate.  Using a large ice cream scoop, drop onto panko, flatten into patties, sprinkle more panko over top.  Cover bottom of nonstick pan with a thin layer of oil and fry patties for about 4-5 minutes per side or  until golden brown.  

Serving Suggestion:  Serve with yogurt sauce and a side salad like Caesar or Creamy Cilantro.

Note:   They browned better with more oil.  The one’s cooked in less oil started to blacken a tiny bit before they were crunchy and golden brown on the outside but they all tasted good.

Variation: Add 2 t green onions, chopped, 1/4 t ground coriander, 1/4 t ground cumin



No comments:

Post a Comment