Tuesday, July 28, 2020

Weekend New Recipes: Easy Marinated Beans, Quick Blueberry Jam

Since cooking on the weekends is now something I've had to start doing at least it gives me the opportunity to try  more recipes.

I tried a recipe I saw on the #todayshow which sounded like a good recipe for canned beans and the picture looked good but I was thinking of it as a salad and it was more of an oil dip with some beans.  I am loving a pantry dish more these days so I continued on with "Easy Marinated Beans".  When I started to make it and read the amount of oil it seemed excessive but I thought maybe it would be OK and I should try the recipe as is before I change it, but I was wrong.  Once I drained most if not all of the oil off the beans they were much better.  What were they thinking.  I will make it again with modifications shown in red and update when I get it right.  It is a great pantry picnic or potluck salad.
ITALIAN BEANS aka EASY MARINATED BEANS
1/2 red onion, thinly sliced
1/2 C. apple cider vinegar
1 lemon, juice (1 T.), zest less
1/4 C. good quality olive oil
2 T. fresh herbs (cilantro & parsley), finely chopped more
1 t crushed red pepper flakes
1/4 t. Kosher salt
1/4 t.  ground black pepper
3 (15 oz.) cans white beans, drained, rinsed

Thinly slice the onion. Place in a medium bowl. Add vinegar, lemon zest and juice. Toss to combine and set aside to marinate until the shallots have softened and started to turn pink, about 5 minutes.
In a small saucepan, combine olive oil, fresh herbs, red pepper flakes, kosher salt, freshly ground black pepper and drained and rinsed beans. Warm over a medium-low heat until the beans are warmed through, about 3-5 minutes.  Remove beans from heat, transfer to the bowl with onion mixture and toss to combine.

Serving Suggestion:  Serve with crusty bread. Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 weeks.

Leftovers:  Add some to a tomato panzanella salad or mash up beans and spread on toasted baguette slices with some prosciutto and a blanched sugar snap pea.

Variation:  Use what you have white wine, apple cider or champagne vinegar; 1 lg. shallot; 2 butter beans & 1 cannellini bean.

Then I made what was called an appetizer which a dip is but it is more of a cream cheese spread with blueberry jam topper.  Very good quick jam made with frozen blueberries.  This is in the cookbook for sure.
QUICK BLUEBERRY BALSAMIC JAM
1 C. blueberries, frozen or fresh
2 t. honey
2 t. balsamic vinegar
1/4 t. salt
1/4 t. rosemary, finely chopped

To a small saucepan add blueberries, honey, vinegar, salt and rosemary.  Stir and heat over medium heat for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Serving Suggestions:  Use on top of cream cheese, goat cheese or a combo with Triscuits or crusty bread.

No comments:

Post a Comment