Monday, July 20, 2020

New Recipe: Starting off the week on the Right Foot!

I tend to get drawn in and tricked by a recipe because of its name or cooking method.  In this case it was the cooking method, no one pot wonder but the flavors sounded interesting.  I also thought the name and warm spices sounded exotic but Pulao just means rice per what I read.  Tricked again.  

The new method was using my rice cooker for something more than rice so I liked that idea.  If the rice cooker would have fully cooked the chicken and onions like a pressure cooker, omitting the saute step, that would have been perfect but I still like that I can press the button on the rice cooker and walk away.  I have an old rice cooker that just has one button, you push it and it turns orange and it is done when it's done it pops up.  It does not have a timer on it and I've never timed it.  This should have been the time I do that.  Cross your fingers...

I misread the original recipe and marinated the chicken in the soy, chili powder and oil and did it overnight cause we opted for Nachos on Sunday.  This caused me to have to use a touch more oil to saute the onions so next time I'll try marinating with out the oil or with only 1 T. oil.   Next time I’ll reduce the oil or not use it in the marinate.  I also did it overnight and it was only suppose to be 30 minutes.  

Original recipe was a newspaper clipping article from SF Food Writers blog, www.alittleyum.com.  

Here is what I read about Paulo:  “Pulao is a one pot rice dish made by cooking fragrant basmati rice with aromatic spices, herbs & sometimes stock. There are many kinds of pulao recipes made in India like vegetable pulao, Matar pulao, tawa pulao, Coconut milk pulao, zarda pulao, kashmiri pulao & Chicken pulao.

This dish was excellent and in the end, surprising in a good way.  I loved the subtle warm spices and the rice had the look and texture of Spanish rice but a a bit moister.  Perfect 2 Pot Dish :)   The chicken was perfectly cooked so it did finish cooking in the rice cooker.  It was tender and flavorful but not overpowering in any way.  I will definitely make again since I am able to cook the chicken ahead of time and even marinate the night before like I did here and then add to rice cooker an hour before you are ready to eat.  Not sure exactly how long it takes but I will time it next time.  It is under an hour.

The original recipe came from the Sunday newspaper.


RICE COOKER CHICKEN PULAO
Marinade:
4 chicken thighs, cubed
2 T. liquid Amino Acids or soy sauce
1 1/2 t. chili powder
Saute:
2 T. avocado oil
1/2 red onion, chopped
1/2 t. Kosher
1 T. fresh ginger, grated
1 T. garlic, minced
Toast Spices:
1 T. cumin seeds
2” stick cinnamon
2-3 bay  leaves
4 green cardamom pods
Rice Cooker:
2 C. uncooked Jasmine or Basmati rice
3 1/2 C. water

In a medium glass bowl add cubed chicken, soy and chili powder.  Mix, cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes to overnight.  Chop onion, mince garlic and grate ginger.  To a nonstick pan, add a drizzle of oil over medium heat and add cubed onions.  Saute till soft, 5 minutes.  Add salt, garlic and ginger.  Stir and move aside.  Add spices, toast for 30 seconds and mix into onions.  If it is sticking add a tablespoon of water and scrape up bits.  Add the chicken, stir and saute for 5 minutes to brown chicken.
Rinse rice and add to rice cooker.  Top with browned chicken and spices.  Add water.  Set rice cooker like you do when just cooking rice.  Before you serve try to find the bay leaves, cinnamon stick and 4 cardamom pods and toss.  Serve.






No comments:

Post a Comment