Monday, January 18, 2021

New Recipe: Polenta Soup with Kale and Parmesan

This quick soup was perfect for lunch this morning and better than I thought it was going to be but I wanted to try kale again and I found a cornmeal soup intriguing.  It was scrumptious.  Original recipe used water and 4 oz. Parmesan which they equated to 2 C. but a smidge under 1 C. shredded was 3.21 oz and 2 C. seemed excessive.  The one thing I don't like about adding the Parmesan is how the cheese gets stuck to my spoon, yuk. I also used homemade rotisserie stock instead of water which only enhanced it.  Original recipe was from Jan. 10, 2021 newspaper insert, adapted from Milk Street: Cookish.  Almost every time I get a rotisserie chicken from Costco I make stock even if it only has the chicken bones and no other aromatics it is still better than canned broth.  Also one of my favorite things is making food out of garbage.  It gives the chicken bones a second life and me a second meal.

POLENTA SOUP WITH KALE AND PARMESAN

3 T. olive oil, (drizzles)
1 onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 T. fresh rosemary, minced
2 t. Kosher
1 t. coarse black pepper
8 C. homemade rotisserie chicken stock
3/4 C. coarse stone-ground yellow cornmeal (see note)
1 bunch lacinato (Tuscan) kale, stemmed, leaves torn into bite size pieces, 1”
15.5 oz. can cannellini beans, rinsed, drained
1 C. Parmesan

In a large stock pot add a few drizzles of oil.  Dice onions, mince garlic.  Add to pot along with salt and pepper.  Stir for 3 minutes until onions are soft.  Stir to soften onions.  Add broth or water.  Whisk in cornmeal; bring to a simmer.  Reduce heat to low; cook, uncovered 15 minutes, stirring occasionally to scrape bottom so it doesn’t stick.  Tear kale into small bite size pieces, stir.  Drain and rinse beans, add to soup.  Cook, stirring for 5 minutes or till kale and cornmeal are tender.  Stir in Parmesan to melt.  Makes 4-6 servings.

Note:  I used yellow cornmeal from Quaker Oats for baking and breading because it is what I had on hand.  It didn’t indicate the type of grind but it worked just fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment