Tuesday, January 12, 2021

New Recipe: Piccata Mahi Mahi with Lemon Spinach Orzo

 Last nights dinner was excellent!  I had never had warm orzo before, only in cold salads, if memory serves me correctly.  I always thought orzo slipped down my throat, which I know probably sounds odd😄 but I didn’t notice that in this recipe.  Maybe it's because it wasn’t a vinaigrette.  

I liked my switch of frozen bagged spinach (not the 10 oz. block), especially during Covid times cause it can always be on hand.  My fish is also Covid friendly, the individually frozen filets from Costco are always in my freezer so I can thaw in water right before I cook it.  The original recipe from Cuisine At Home, #103, Feb. 2014.  #CuisineAtHome is my favorite magazine.  Each month I bring out that months magazines and go through them so I can cook what is in season.  I only cooked two filets vs 8 flounder filets as the recipe called for so I did have extra sauce.  Next time I'll cut that in half.  The recipe also called for fresh spinach.  If you have this on hand use it but add it when you add the lemon zest and stir till it wilts.



Another tip I learned recently was to use all of your herbs, including the stems, they have a lot of flavor.  I removed the bigger one's but I didn't pick off each leaf like I use to do.

PICCATA MAHI MAHI

Dredge in Flour:
2-8 filets
1/4 C. flour
Sprinkle Kosher
Sprinkle Coarse black pepper
Drizzle oil
Picatta Sauce:
1/4 C. white wine
3 T. lemon juice
1 T. capers, drained
3 T. butter
1/4 t. black pepper
1/2 t. Kosher salt
2 T. fresh parsley

Pat fish dry, dredge in flour, sprinkle with salt and pepper.  Heat a drizzle of oil on medium high until it shimmers.  Add filets, don’t overcrowd.  Cook till golden about 2  minutes per side.  Transfer to a platter tent with foil and cook any remaining fillets.

To same pan add wine, lemon and capers; cook 30 seconds.  Remove from heat, swirl in butter until it melts.  Add parsley.  Season with salt and pepper.  Serve.

Note:  If only making 2 you will have leftover sauce so cut it in half.

Serving Suggestions:  Serve with Spinach Lemon Orzo in Pasta section.  Perfect flavor profile for picatta.

SPINACH LEMON ORZO

1/2 onion, small dice
Drizzle oil
2 cloves garlic (1 T.), minced
Add:
1 C. dry orzo pasta
15 oz. can chicken broth
3 C. frozen spinach, rinsed
Off Heat:
1 lemon, zested
1 T. butter
1/2 t. Kosher salt
1/4 t. coarse black pepper
10 grates or 1/4 t. freshly grated nutmeg

Dice onion.  To a medium saute pan add a drizzle of oil and chopped onion.  Saute until soft, about 3-5 minutes.  Add garlic, saute another minute.  Add orzo, stir to coat with oil.  Add broth, stirring till liquid is absorbed and orzo is cooked about 9-10 minutes.  Turn heat to low.  Rinse frozen spinach, no need to dry.  Add to pan, stir until no more clumps of spinach and ice.  If it gets dry add a water (see note) and stir until spinach is thawed.  Remove from heat, add zest, butter, salt, pepper and nutmeg.  Stir.  Serve.

Note:  Don’t worry if your frozen spinach is clumped together and no need to let it dry.  You will need some extra moisture to thaw the spinach.  If it becomes to dry, add a little more water, less than 1/4 C., stirring until the spinach is thawed and water is gone.  If you are using fresh spinach add it after you remove from heat and add spices.  Stir to wilt spinach.

No comments:

Post a Comment