Monday, June 13, 2022

TACO SHRIMP RICE BOWL 4 TWO

I put off this recipe all last week and it was even easier than I imagined, stupid easy, tricked again by a recipe or afraid of a new adventure, not sure which.  Although mine didn’t look like the picture it was OH SO YUMMY and full of flavor.  I used my taco seasoning vs. Caribbean jerk seasoning cause it’s what I had.  I’ll make it again but my next variation will be to try it more like a black bean salsa.  To add drained pineapple tidbits, a fresher mango so it doesn’t disintegrate and don't warm the beans and fresh green onions incase I’d rather top the dish with them.  The added salsa was from Trader Joes.  Since I couldn’t find a small crushed pineapple I’ll save the other half for banana bread tomorrow.  Original recipe was from “Healthy Table” newspaper insert which sited TasteofHome.com, go figures my favorite inspirational yearly cookbooks.  I rate tonight's recipe a 4 Star ****

 (picture to follow)


TACO SHRIMP RICE BOWL 4 TWO

14 shrimp, clean, tails removed

1-2 t. homemade taco seasoning

2 green onions, sliced

Beans:

2 (15 oz.) cans black beans, rinsed, drained

8 oz. can unsweetened crushed pineapple, undrained

1 mango, peeled, diced

1/2 C. salsa

Fixings:

8-9 oz. pkg. brown rice & quinoa, microwaved

Sour Cream

Wholly Guacamole or

  • 1 avocado, diced
  • 1/3 C. sour cream
  • 1/4 t. salt

Thaw, clean and remove tails from shrimp.  Pat dry.  Dice green onion.  Sprinkle with taco seasoning, add green onions and toss.  Set aside.

In a small sauté pan add drained and rinsed beans, undrained pineapple, diced mango and salsa.  Heat to warm.

Heat a cast iron skillet with a drizzle of oil.  Add shrimp and onions.  Sauté 2-3 minutes.  Turning half way through.  

Serve in two bowls each with a half the package of rice, a scoop of two of the saucy beans.  Topped with 7 shrimp, a dollop of sour cream and guacamole.

Variations:  

  • Use What You Have:  no crushed pineapple, Use fresh pineapple, tidbits or chunks.  
  • Instead of heating the beans with the fruit and salsa, use pineapple chunks, salsa and a fresh mango and serve it more like a salsa.
  • Try Tilapia or grouper instead of shrimp.


No comments:

Post a Comment