Monday, March 16, 2020

Day 1 Covid-19 Lock Down: Lentil Tacos

I thought it could work but I wasn't sure and it exceeded my expectations.  I tasted salsa, sour cream, taco seasoning, the crunch from the corn tortillas and freshness of the cabbage.  I did not miss the meat.  I got this idea, Tasty Lentil Tacos from allrecipes.com but I cooked my lentils first then did a reheat with salsa and seasoning and did what I do for General Tso’s Taco bake.  With this first attempt the tacos didn’t hold  together, the bottoms fell out, too soggy, so they were more like nachos but still very tasty and I will make again.  When I do I will take a pix of the finished product.

LENTIL TACOS
Meal Prep: 
1 1/2 C. dried brown lentils
32 oz. box vegetable stock
1 bay leave
1 clove garlic

5 stand up taco shells
Shredded Fiesta/Mexican cheese
Taco Filling:
1 C. lentils, cooked
2/3 C. salsa
1 T. taco seasoning mix
2 T. water
10 cherry tomatoes, halved
Salad:
5 handfulls of cabbage
2 green onions, sliced
1 T. oil
1 T. apple cider vinegar
Drizzle of Sriracha
Finish:   Sour Cream, hot sauce

Rinse lentils.  Put in a small saucepan and cover with broth by 2”.  Bring to a boil, simmer covered for 20 minutes or until tender.  Drain and discard the bay leaf.  Set aside.

Add taco shells to a 11x7 inch baking dish.  Add a sprinkle of cheese in each.  Bake for 5 or is this what made them soggy.  Add cooked lentils to a sauce pan with remaining filling ingredients.  Warm lentils.  With a slotted spoon, add 1/4 cup to each taco shell.  Top with sliced cherry tomatoes, a sprinkle more cheese.

Bake 375F for 8-10 minutes.  Remove from oven and top with marinated cabbage, sour cream and hot sauce.  Serve.

Meal Prep:  Cook lentils before hand and reheat or if you don't want to do this you can cook the lentils now.  Saute an onion, when soft add garlic.  Then lentils, taco seasoning and 1 2/3 C. chicken broth.  Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, cover and simmer 25-30 minutes or until lentils are tender.


No comments:

Post a Comment