Friday, April 17, 2020

Lockdown recipes during this Covid19

I thought I would start updating my blog on a daily basis when Covid 19 hit.  No matter what you do or not do I think we all thought we would have all this extra time unfortunately I didn't consider my mental state.  Although I love to cook and try new recipes going to the store is a bear and cooking with staples seems to be the way to go although I change my mind on a daily if not multiple times per day.  I started this post on Day 9 of lockdown and now it is day 23 and I never posted it.  So I'll post this and then do another one to catch up on what I've been cooking.

Here are some recipes from all or mainly staples, aka canned goods.

Day 9:   Today I tried a few new recipes, made Mayo out of garbage, thank you #GwynethPaltrow via #RachaelRay so if mayo is the next to go on the grocery shelves I"ll still be able to eat sandwiches with "mayo" IF I can find bread :)

AQUAFABA MAYO
15 oz. can organic chickpeas with the liquid which is 1/2 C. aquafaba
1 t. lemon juice
1/2 t. Kosher salt
Up to 1 1/2 C. avocado oil
1/8 t. white pepper

Drain chickpeas and reserve the liquid.  This is the 1/2 C. of aquafaba  Reserve chickpeas for another use, a salad or hummus.  Combine aquafaba, lemon juice and salt in a small bowl.  Using an emulsion blender on medium high speed, pour oil in a very slow steady stream.  It will begin to stiffen and expand.  It will take a few minutes; it will be white, smooth and thick.  Transfer to an airtight container.   Keeps for about 1 week.

Variations:  
  • Mexican Sauce:  Add 1/4 t. cumin and 1/2 lime juiced to 1/2 C. Aquafaba Mayo
  • Sriracha:  Add 1 t. sriracha hot sauce

This soup is a winner that has been in my cookbook for years.  I forgot how good it is for such little effort.  Kinda like my Tuna Noodle Casserole aka Slop, open and dump.  As I look back at this name I now think it a little harsh.  I changed the name to slop when I gave up on processed foods and most cans but I now think that was unfair.  It may not be the healthiest since it does have a box of Mac & Cheese and a can of soup but it does have tuna and peas and it tastes like Tuna Noodle Casserole it's just easier than from scratch.  I know we all have more time but anxiety is taking up that space so we really don't.  I like Old El Paso enchilada sauce better than others I have tried so you may have to try a few before you find your favorite.  I cut the cream corn in half the first time but I prefer making my own, reduced the broth by one can, Although I have made several changes the original recipe came from Pillsbury March 2002 #253, Quick & Easy Bake Off, pg 41  The picture is from 10/15/2019.  I went back to two cans of canned cream corn cause it was what I had on hand and I only used 11 oz. of enchillada sauce vs 19 oz. and added a few spices.  I think it was perfect and so when I go back to homemade cream corn it can only be better.”

ENCHILADA PASTA SOUP
2 (15 oz.) cans cream corn
2 (14 oz.) cans chicken broth
11 Old El Paso red enchilada sauce
4.5 oz. chopped green chilies
10 oz. can chunk white and dark chicken in water, drained
1 C. (8 oz.) uncooked small shells or macaroni
2 t. dried onion
1 ½ t. cumin
½ t. dried oregano leaves, crushed
½ t. salt
1/4 t. coarse black pepper
Garnish, optional:
-Monterrey Jack cheese, shredded
Tortilla chips, broken

In a small saucepan make the homemade cream corn recipe in Vegetable section.  Melt butter, add flour and cook 1-+2 minutes.  Add milk, salt and pepper.  Thicken, add corn.
In Dutch oven or large saucepan, combine broth, cream corn, enchilada sauce, chilies and spices, mix well.  Bring to a boil over medium high heat.  Add pasta.  Reduce heat to low; simmer 8 minutes or until pasta is tender, stirring occasionally so it doesn’t stick.  Add chicken, cook another few minutes to warm chicken.  Ladle into bowls.  Top with cheese and tortilla chips if you choose.  Makes 4 servings.  

Notes:  I have used up to 19 oz. of enchilada sauce when I made my cream corn but with two cans one 11 oz. was plenty.  A pound of pipette (ziti cut in tiny shell size pieces) is 8 C. of dry pasta.

Variations:  

  • Use 2-3 C. rotisserie chicken or what you have leftover instead of canned.
  • Make creamed corn (15.25 oz. can corn, 1 T. butter, 1 T. flour, 1/2 C. milk, 1/2 t. kosher salt, 1/4 t. white pepper)

TUNA CASSEROLE (SLOP)
1 box Kraft Macaroni and cheese
    4 T. butter
    1/4 C. milk
6 oz. can tuna in water, drained, flaked
15.5 oz. can Campbell’s cream of mushroom soup
15.5 oz. can peas, drained

Prepare macaroni and cheese according to package directions.  Break up tuna and add flaked tuna and soup.  Stir to combine.  Fold in peas.  Heat to warm.


Variation:  Top with one of the following:  crumbled chips, bread crumbs & butter or cheese.  Bake at 350F until crusty and cheese is melted.


No comments:

Post a Comment