Friday, April 17, 2020

Day 23 of Covid19 lock down in CA

Not much going on, still on lock down here in the Bay Area.  I've had many emotions, good days and bad.  Things I use to LOVE like cooking have become more of a chore, stressful and it is only the two of us so I can't imagine large families.  Another difference for me is I have to think about lunch, which honestly I should have been doing for my own health anyways.  Cooking dinner just isn't as fun because of limited supplies and trips to the store.  I waffle between using what is in the house and buying more stock but I'm don't want to go overboard either way.
I've always done Monday shopping and stocked up for the week but when the week got away from me or plans changed things would spoil so I started trying to shop more often and only get the staples or freezer items on Monday but limit the fresh veggies by going more often.  Then the lock down happened and sh*t got real.  I didn't want to go to the store and when I did it was stressful and not always productive.  Supplies are limited and crowds are scary.  Each week I try and get back to a semi normal existence, I try different plans, some stick, some don't but I continue.  I think about everyone who has it so much worse than me, especially those on the front line and if staying home is what I can do I will.  God Bless!

Ever since I started eating less processed foods there are some things I've been doing for some time now which during this time if you don't do this maybe now is the time to try it.

I make my own...

  • Eye makeup remover, simply EVOO and water.  Sprits on a cotton pad and wipe off makeup.  Works perfectly
  • Shave Cream for my legs:  Coconut Oil


Taco Seasoning:  I do this because I have all the spices that make up Taco Seasoning so it is cheaper for me to use up what I have vs. buying a package.  I also started doing this because I read this "Packaged taco seasoning is full of sodium and contains silica (which is in the packet found in new shoes that says DO NOT EAT!)".  I don’t know if this is still true but why go back to purchasing packaged items if I don't have to.

TACO SEASONING
4 T. chile powder
2 T. ground cumin
1 t. onion powder
1 t. garlic powder
1 t. crushed red pepper flakes
1 t. dried oregano
1 t. smoked paprika
1 t. sweet paprika
4 t. Kosher salt
3 t. coarse black pepper
1 t. black pepper
1 t. sugar

Add everything to a small glass jar.  Shake or stir and store.

To Use:  Add 3 teaspoons of seasoning and 2/3 C. water to make the taco seasoning package for 1 lb. ground meat.

VariationUse what you have:  all regular black pepper, swap out 1 t. with cayenne pepper or all sweet paprika.



No comments:

Post a Comment